2 Strata tests

Started by Mavcat, July 20, 2007, 07:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavcat

Nothing special,just 2 strata tests. Also my first 2 renders with a bit more complex node network :-\. Want to know something? Just ask ;D

rcallicotte

Very nice strata.  The latter reminds me of the hills in Peru or maybe somewhere in China with some more work to fill in the rice paddies.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Nice terrains... now you just need some plants and textures to put on them :)!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Inscrutable

I agree that they're nice pictures.  I especially like the clouds and and the lighting on the surface of the water in the first one - I'd certainly like to see that one developes further in terms of surface shaders.  :)

My problem is that I don't really think that strata are a particular strong point of TG2 at the moment.  Every time I've tried experimenting it looks too regular and linear and therefore unrealistic.  I've spent some time trying to manipulate the output by inserting other shaders later in the note network but still can't quite get a realistic distribution.

Perhaps someone could offer some advice on using the strata and outcrops shader a bit more effectively - I know I'd certainly appreciate it.  I have seen some stunning and quite subtle results obtained by some of the more experienced artists here (some of the original alpha testers for instance) and would love to know what techniques and settings were used to acheve them.

Inscrutable

rcallicotte

Inscrutable, have you tried the tutorial about strata that Oshyan wrote? 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mavcat

Quote from: calico on July 20, 2007, 08:31:48 AM
Very nice strata.  The latter reminds me of the hills in Peru or maybe somewhere in China with some more work to fill in the rice paddies.

Thnx :D

Quote from: old_blaggard on July 20, 2007, 09:20:38 AM
Nice terrains... now you just need some plants and textures to put on them :)!

I looked for some textures,but didnt find any :) Never did plants before,but ill try :)

Quote from: Inscrutable on July 20, 2007, 09:22:51 AM
I agree that they're nice pictures.  I especially like the clouds and and the lighting on the surface of the water in the first one - I'd certainly like to see that one developes further in terms of surface shaders.  :)

My problem is that I don't really think that strata are a particular strong point of TG2 at the moment.  Every time I've tried experimenting it looks too regular and linear and therefore unrealistic.  I've spent some time trying to manipulate the output by inserting other shaders later in the note network but still can't quite get a realistic distribution.

Perhaps someone could offer some advice on using the strata and outcrops shader a bit more effectively - I know I'd certainly appreciate it.  I have seen some stunning and quite subtle results obtained by some of the more experienced artists here (some of the original alpha testers for instance) and would love to know what techniques and settings were used to acheve them.

Inscrutable

This is what i used : http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=974 Its a very good tutorial ^^