Whats new at planetside?

Started by TheBadger, July 29, 2014, 12:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

So where is everyone?

Matt is taking the paychecks of LA hipsters in cards.
Oshyan is adventuring in some remote interesting place.
And Jo is helping to build software for giant earth moving robots that will eventually destroy all humans.

Or something close to that  ;D

But whats up with Terragen? Anything new and improved on the way?
In the past there were lots of references to Alpha testers. But not so much lately, is that still happening? Anything going on? Anything on the way?!

Just curious whats happening with my favorite reality webTV stars!  8)
It has been eaten.

choronr

Shame on you Michael; this is crap: "Just curious whats happening with my favorite reality web TV stars!" However, to each is own.

Dune

It's quiet out there, but I account it to the holidays. But I certainly hope some life will come back, and some exciting stuff. It's way too quiet here as well, boring actually. Nobody is experimenting, I don't see any of the new assets (like displacable objects)....

choronr

I believe that many are concerned about the economy; not only here in the states, but also worldwide. One keeps making adjustments to afford to live. It is the first priority. The world is in turmoil now. Those of us in the middle are contemplating what is next for us and our families - a distraction we did not have to deal with in recent years.

Major changes are coming. 

mhaze

Dune -you don't see many experiments cause you keep getting there first!!!! I used displacable objects in my beach scene as the arch and as hero rocks!

Dune

Yeah, I know, but I wanna see more!

fleetwood

I used a displacable object in Rumble at Rhino Rock for the Termite Mound. The horn like protuberances on the mound  are from adding a strata shader to the object. The strata appear to orient according to the normal of the object and look strange because the object is fairly small.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18614.0.html

Oshyan

There is always stuff going on behind the scenes, of course. :D Right now we're focusing largely on SDK details so we can get our early developer partners up to speed and making cool stuff to extend the Terragen ecosystem, so to speak. We hope to be able to talk more about that fairly soon. We've got interesting things in progress in the "labs" too, of course. But most major new features will now be targeting future major versions. Any remaining TG 3.x updates will likely be minor features and bug fixes. But that doesn't mean there's nothing more to come, or that well be silent from here on out. :)

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Well that is stimulating! But you know how things can get, when only a tiny bit of info is released...
From what I just read I think I can rightly deduce that planetside is about to release the so called "T-Virus". Thereby capturing one hundred % of the market by killing off all of the competition. An effective strategy I would guess. Also, news about the SDK is good to hear.

A little concerning that you are talking about 3.5 or 4 already but only because I hope to see some of the features we have been harping about without having to upgrade again. But then again, if its worth it, so be it.

Thanks for the words Oshyan.

@bob
Not all reality shows are of morons doing stupid things. Some are of interesting people doing interesting, even important things.  :)
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Can someone give me a rundown of what SDK is/stands for?  I keep hearing the term, but have no clue what it means.  Also, what about ray trace object by object (with displacement) or support for animated objects (FBX).  Will these wait until V4?

yossam

Upon Infinity

Quote from: yossam on July 30, 2014, 12:36:01 AM
Here you go....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_kit

Thanks, Yossam.  Does this mean what, that other companies will essentially develop parts of Terragen, new kinds of shaders, how does this work?

Oshyan

The SDK (Software Development Kit) will allow anyone who can code in C++ to write plugins for Terragen that extend its capabilities in a myriad of ways, from generating or loading new types of data (e.g. new fractal functions, or support for new data formats), to new types of shading, to automation and interoperability functions, and more.

It's an important option to have available for larger studios, who often use SDKs to integrate applications into their sophisticated multi-stage production pipelines, but it will also be used by individual independent developers to create plugins of any scale, large or small, to handle a variety of useful things. We're not so much intending that people develop core functionality with it - things that we have on our road map - but rather that they create new and different things to make Terragen more versatile and interesting. Imagine, for example, a generator that creates "classic" fractals like Mandelbrot, Julia, and other sets, for use as terrains, masks, etc. Or a new type of Erosion shader. Either of those could be done easily.

We're looking forward to seeing what the community will do with it, and we already have several prominent developers interested.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on July 30, 2014, 02:20:34 AM
The SDK (Software Development Kit) will allow anyone who can code in C++ to write plugins for Terragen that extend its capabilities in a myriad of ways, from generating or loading new types of data (e.g. new fractal functions, or support for new data formats), to new types of shading, to automation and interoperability functions, and more.

It's an important option to have available for larger studios, who often use SDKs to integrate applications into their sophisticated multi-stage production pipelines, but it will also be used by individual independent developers to create plugins of any scale, large or small, to handle a variety of useful things. We're not so much intending that people develop core functionality with it - things that we have on our road map - but rather that they create new and different things to make Terragen more versatile and interesting. Imagine, for example, a generator that creates "classic" fractals like Mandelbrot, Julia, and other sets, for use as terrains, masks, etc. Or a new type of Erosion shader. Either of those could be done easily.

We're looking forward to seeing what the community will do with it, and we already have several prominent developers interested.

- Oshyan

the SDK devlopment is the best news I've heard inna while...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

This plugins and stuff will work only with the new release or it will be compatible with 3? Just don't want to buy the full version of TG3 and then 2 months later buy the full TG4... :-\
Finances are running ultra low for me these days :(
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd