Help!

Started by mhaze, July 31, 2014, 09:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Can any one tell me what is going on here.  Why doesn't the stretched power fractal follow the terrain?

Tangled-Universe

The PF is only masked and is not actually being warped the way the underlying surface for the waterfall is.
That would be my first idea why the PF isn't following the shape.

mhaze

Hmmm, that's roughly the conclusion I came to, only you put much more clearly.  Any sugestions

Tangled-Universe

Since you vector displace on X I suppose you need to start with a PF stretched on Z.
Then I would create a warp input shader and feed the same vector displacement function you use for the waterfall into it.
As main input of the warp input shader you connect the stretch PF.

As long as you treat things the same way they should keep in place/aligned.

mhaze

Ok turns out to be distort by normal in the colour pf

Dune

Yep, that's the way to go. Just a row of warp shaders, for every part one, all fed by the same, or perhaps a little extra with an extra different Vdisp setup.

Ah, and better not rotate your simple shape to begin with. Better to rotate the terrain to accomodate to the river, or find a better spot. Or rotate all having to do with the river and fall the same way. And the PF for your foam needs to be stretched by Z, not by X.

mhaze

It was stretched by x as a test! Icould not strech the pf in the y direction so I tried x and z to see where the problem lay, as I said turned out to be distort by normal in the warping tab of the PF.

Dune

OK. Looking forward to where you take this.

mhaze

I was hoping to go somewhere different but I'm only going over old ground! Looked at realflow but I can only see limited uses for someone like me. To use objects in it they have to be either some wierd .sb format or alembic, neither of which I can export! Whilst TG can handle the data and meshes it cannot handle the transparency so we are back to square one.

Tangled-Universe

You can use .obj in realflow.
Only thing you need to take into account is that you'd need to translate your point of interest to the origin inside TG, otherwise you won't be able to find it back in your Realflow scene.

The .sd or whatever format realflow uses is an optimized format, but you don't have to use it per se.

mhaze

Cheers TU maybe I'll go for a learning addition and play.  I seem to have improved my waterfall so that it renders reasonably fast and the foam follows the flow - I now want to integrate Dunes road trick to get level streams.

Dune

That should work, but you need the stream to be near */0/0 or 0/0/*, depending on the angle of the stream (north-south or east-west).

mhaze

Hi Dune, your road trick works but getting negative displacement with soft edges for the stream doesn't - I had to fudge it.  I'll post something tomorow.

Dune

Mmmm? Curious why not.

mhaze

Try it and see - maybe you can solve the problem. I've spent an afternoon taking apart with no real success.