When the universe craps on you, it really stinks.

Started by TheBadger, August 02, 2014, 01:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

I was struck by what I guess is being called the "black screen of death".
Basically my Mac starts up as normal but my screen goes black and stays that way.

The cause is either my gpu or my monitor (maybe both took a shit). I can't exclude one or the other. And I don't have a way to test.

I removed my upgraded gpu and put in the factory gpu. No joy. But I can't be sure from that alone that it's only my monitor... Can I?

Typing and searching and reading on this phone is making me feel violent! :'(

Can one of you guys with a passion for understanding computer problems help me on my way here?
I'm really screwed. Can't work at all and was already super behind in everything I was doing anyway.

Info, advice, experience, whatever you got!

The gpu has thunderbolt and vdi so I can go to buy a win monitor and try that for not too much (then return if I want) but is there away I can figure this out for certain at home, without spending cash first?

Thanks!
It has been eaten.

archonforest

If no pic then it usually boils down to 3 things. VGA card dead, monitor dead, vga cable dead. Or the connections on one of them. Actually the connector on the mobo can be dead as well so 4. Now borrow:
-another monitor, another vga cable, another vga card.

Try to swap them around to isolate the problem. If after all still no picture then the chance of dead vga connector on the mobo is getting high.

If u have another vga connector on the mobo try that one. Many computers usually have at least 2 or more vga connector. So if one is dead then another can be utilized.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

PabloMack

Many flat-panel TVs can work as a computer monitor. Mine has both VGA and HDMI ports.

TheBadger

Thanks guys. Looks like it is in fact only the monitor. And may only be the cords. Hope so! That will be the least costly issue.

It has been eaten.

archonforest

TheBadger

$600.00 to fix by apple. I thought of a lot of curse words, but I didn't say them :P

I bought an asus for $289 after tax a few days ago. I wanted it for extra real estate and to use while my main monitor was down. But now with not having my apple monitor I have to use the asus as my only monitor. Which sucks. the resolution is terrible and I can tell just by looking at it that I cant trust color.
Compared to my cinema screen its a real step down.

I was happy when I bought it because I thought it would just be extra work space. but

Anyway, the funny part is I paid for 3years apple care for the cinema display, but this asus came with 3year extra warranty for free. Did not even have to sign up. But the quality is far from what the apple was, you don't even have to do any tests. Its stark obvious.

Can you guys recommend a monitor on par or better than the apple cinema display (current model), that is a good amount less then the apple?
No TVs though please. I need a primary monitor not a TV.And I am not going to buy apple monitors anymore. I *may* still buy apple when it comes time to upgrade desktop, but anything that plugs in I will absolutely shop around for.

Thanks if you have any models you can point out.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Eizo is really good, and affordable. I have a Flexscan S2431W. Not huge but nice to work in.

archonforest

What is your budget?
Otherwise here is one that not a pro but good for the price:
Dell UltraSharp 2412HM.

Oshyan

Apple uses LG panels I believe, so most anything with an LG panel would be a good match. These articles might also help:
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/01/apple-monitor-27-inch-display-monoprice/
http://lifehacker.com/three-cheap-but-awesome-alternatives-to-the-apple-cinem-1500692411

I personally have a Viewsonic IPS monitor I'm pretty happy with. And you'll find that IPS (display technology) is one of the main distinguishing factors for higher quality color reproduction. If your ASUS monitor is TN or anything else other than an IPS variant, then that's probably why it looks worse. It's not a *brand* issue, it's a model/technology issue (ASUS sells IPS panels too).

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Thanks Oshyan. That is helpful to me. Im curious if on the Monoprice  monitor I could just take out the panel and drop it in my apple monitor frame? Does not matter too much, just curious about it.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

No, that's not an operation you'd want to try yourself.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Quote from: Oshyan on August 19, 2014, 01:10:07 AM
No, that's not an operation you'd want to try yourself.

- Oshyan

Yeah I figured. Just don't know what to do with this paper weight I got now. Was hoping at least I could reuse the frame, which is quite nice.

Anyone got any realistic ideas about what I could do with the mac monitor?? Hate to just throw it out or drop it off for recycling. There has got to be a way I can get something back on it?
It has been eaten.

Dune

Sell it to a handy guy who might be able to repair it, or let him pay only when he can fix it, so it's win/win.

TheBadger

It cant be fixed. Only replaced. Thats why apple wanted 600 bucks.. I could be wrong of course, but as i understand it it no one can fix a dead LED/LCD/plazma panel...? ? ? ?
It has been eaten.