Roman ship

Started by Dune, August 20, 2014, 04:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Regarding human figures, I think part of the problem really is in Terragen. I've seen human faces modeled in Blender that were so life-like that I did a double take. But when imported into Terragen, they loose much of the realism. Probably part of the problem is that TG3 doesn't offer some things like Sub-Surface Scattering (this SSS has nothing to do with Terrragen's SSS - Simple Shape Shader).  Terragen is brilliant at some things, but not good at others.  Like falling water.  Mix the uber-realism of sky, rocks and ground with starkly unconvincing artificiality of a Terragen waterfall, and you got an image where the bad parts are jarringly noticeable.

Dune

It might be an interesting challenge to work on the object textures of these DAZpeople so that they become more believable, with added PF's and reflection (which I did, but perhaps not good enough). I'll work on that, given time.

Dune

I did a little more work on the texture settings, and I don't think it's too bad. I used low resolution textures, that's part of the 'problem' too. Replaced the face by my own, more or less  ;)
First one I tried some translucency, but that doesn't really work.

Dune

Bronze enough?

Hannes

That's better! If you make the base color (below the reflective shader) darker, it may look even more realistic.

masonspappy

Wow :o
Dune, that is great realism!

Kadri

The helmet looks nice.
I have no doubt that you will make those kind of things better Ulco.
The real problem are those human objects.
Even in some other software it is hard.
With the renderer-shaders we have in Terragen i think you won't get the realistic look you are after.
But would be nice if you proofed that it is doable :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 09, 2014, 10:11:43 AM
Bronze enough?

Ooooh, I'll say so...y' gonna share that shader? ;)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 09, 2014, 02:14:05 AM
It might be an interesting challenge to work on the object textures of these DAZpeople so that they become more believable, with added PF's and reflection (which I did, but perhaps not good enough). I'll work on that, given time.

I have a Poser pal across the street who makes brilliant maps, never uses commercial ones and I'm trying to seduce him into TG as it's the best render around in my opinion and it has all the elements he wants that Poser lacks in terms of environmental/atmospheres and vegetation...they fake terrains O K.
If it happens I'll get him in here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist