Roman ship

Started by Dune, August 20, 2014, 04:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I'm building a 'new' Roman ship, as the old one I made a few years ago was quite primitive. Here's the first state of the ship, some additions will be made, and I will do the sail in ClothFX so it blows more naturally.

Kadri

Looks nice Ulco.
Were they build as you build it and which century ?

Dune

This is based on the ships they dug out in some Dutch towns along the 'limes', the border of the Roman empire in Europe. Thirty meters long, about 4-5 wide, sailed mainly downriver with stuff and wood from upriver. Around 100 AD.

masonspappy

Nice model.  Love to see where you take this,

mhaze

cyphyr

Your modeling skills are coming on very well. Looking good.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

choronr

This looks promising. Very good work.

Dune

Next version. Must do work on the wake as well as the boat. Of course this is not very real, as these boats were only used on the Rhine, not on a global water expanse.

mhaze

Nice bow wave. Great model, a little piece of history brought to life.

choronr

These improvements are looking very good. The sail, aged wood and the water/wake are approaching realism.

russe166

Looks very good. Do you use a Luminosity image for the sail?

Dune

No, just an image map for the color variation (greyscale; fields and stitched borders), and a bit of translucency without the image map.
I can build on this thing forever of course, refining, adding stuff, but I think it's good enough now for my purpose.

Hannes

Great model, Ulco!
A tipp: some time ago I was modifying a sailing boat model, and I wanted to blow the sails like you're planning to do.
First I wanted to use a cloth modifier as well, but then I decided to make it easier. I selected the inner sail object's vertices and used soft selection, adjusted the falloff so that the outer parts were unaffected. Then I stacked a noise modifier on top of that. Works quite nicely for animations as well, and doesn't take as much time as a cloth simulation.
I don't know which 3d app you're using, but this should work in any program. Hopefully.