RED RENDER BUG

Started by moodflow, July 22, 2007, 01:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Hi all,

I know this has been brought up in the past, but I can't seem to get around the red render bug.

Any render I've had at 800x600 or larger, with detail of 0.7 or larger, GI = 2, and no GI details...still gets the bug.  I get streaks across the images, or a big round area with nothing but solid red.  The sad part is, it takes about 24 hours or longer to even 'notice' it will have it.

I will admit, I am still using the first release of TGTP.  I never got the update.  Would this have anything to do with it?  Secondly, how do I get that update?  I did purchase the TG2 Deep version.

Even better, how about a newer update featuring all the tweaks and fixes we can dream of?  Well I can wish...   ;D

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

No GI at all - both GI settings sit at ZERO.  For now, that is the only fix that I know about.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Having GI detail at a non-zero value and GI quality at 0 may be giving a divide by zero error represented by red in the render.

Matt

Hi moodflow,

If you pre-purchased the Deep edition but received no information on the update in March, please email registrations@planetside.co.uk so that we can send you the information and make sure you're on the mailing list.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rcallicotte

When I put both of the values for GI at 0 I don't have the red bug problem in situations where it shows up otherwise.  Is that what you've seen, Ben?

Quote from: bigben on July 22, 2007, 09:21:08 AM
Having GI detail at a non-zero value and GI quality at 0 may be giving a divide by zero error represented by red in the render.

bigben

If they're both at 0 then GI is effectively disabled. There were some issues with GI but I haven't seen these too often, (not at all since the last upgrade). It doesn't make sense to have only one of them at 0. They should either be all 0 or all >0. With one set at 0, your asking TG to render detail N with no quality or no detail with quality N.

rcallicotte

I've still seen trouble with the Red Monster, even after the last update.

moodflow

Hi Matt/Oshyan,

Do you guys know if this issue will be fixed in the next update?

Many thanks for your time,
Jeff
(moodflow)

Matt

We identified some causes for this problem and fixed them, which seems to have helped, but I don't think the problem has been fixed 100%. You should see some improvement.

Matt

j meyer

Hi there,
on the occasion of this thread i revisited a red render file
(mentioned earlier in my "practicing" thread) to see what
settings were used in regard of GI.As far as i could remember
it was Amb Occ and so it was actually.So i tried GI on and
off as well.You can see the results below.
Rendered with the latest TG2 version.

Matt

So there is obviously some other culprit besides GI. It is likely to be a problem with the atmosphere or light sources. In the GI render the red spreads everywhere because GI diffuses the bad light throughout the entire scene. GI is probably being blamed unnecessarily (it only makes the problem more apparent).

j meyer

In my example thereĀ“s definitely a lightsource in use and i had also
some other things happening with a lightsource,as mentioned earlier
too.

moodflow

There is evidence this could be due to memory issues.   However, I can't seem to find out a true reason at this point.

I've also noticed a "pink" render bug as well.  It quit as soon as I disabled clouds.  I reenabled clouds and it went away.  Wierd.