Rain

Started by rcallicotte, July 23, 2007, 01:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Is there any valid way in TG2 to create rain?  I can't think of any way, except for Photoshop.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mavcat

Sphere population with a water shader? Only way i can think of

rcallicotte

That might work.  I'll see if it's possible...oh, but wait.  Without transparency it might not look so sweet.  I'll try it anyway and post the result URL here.

Volker Harun

I would go for a cloud shader with very small fractal settings. stretched in Y-direction.

Mavcat

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 23, 2007, 02:28:34 PM
I would go for a cloud shader with very small fractal settings. stretched in Y-direction.

That would work too,but it wouldnt look as water then,i think?

Volker Harun

It would look like lines of rain - giving the picture some motion and some time to render  ;)

EmDee1

Last year I bought some 3ds models of rain; haven't used them since... :). It's called Stormy Rain, made by Forrester. There are several models. Each model consists of many, many small spheres, rectangles etc. I've loaded a model in Vue, stretched it out and exported it as an lwo-file, so I could load it into TG2. With several models arranged (in a population perhaps, I just placed a few in a scene), you maybe get an illusion of rain. Haven't had the time to find out how to make them look transparant, so for the moment I gave them an image map shader...
So here is a small render of a very humble rain-making-attempt...

rcallicotte

EmDee1, this looks pretty good for a beginning.  I think something similar could be done with the sphere object population in TG2, but I don't believe it's working yet.

bigben

Quote from: Mavcat on July 23, 2007, 02:38:06 PM

That would work too,but it wouldnt look as water then,i think?

Depends on the distance from the rain of course.. Clouds are basically just lots of drops of water, they're just very small drops.  At a distance it all looks like cloud though.  Some warping would also be useful. Something like the photo below should certainly be possible.

rcallicotte

Good one, Ben.  I understand.  That and getting the sphere population in working order could produce some realistic rain.

dhavalmistry

this is something I ended up a while ago...didnt quite aim for the "rain" look but I think it can be a very good example of what Volker is talking about here....I am still looking for tgd....if I find it...I will post the clip file....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Saurav

Quote from: dhavalmistry on July 23, 2007, 11:57:41 PM
this is something I ended up a while ago...didnt quite aim for the "rain" look but I think it can be a very good example of what Volker is talking about here....I am still looking for tgd....if I find it...I will post the clip file....

That's not too bad, with a denser fractal and slight colour adjustment that could start to look convincing.

Mavcat

I agree with Saurav,a bit less density and this could be good.

EmDee1

Hope you can find and share the tgd, dhavalmistry!  I think you have a potential way in rainmaking there, more in harmony with the fractal character of TG2.