"Last lights" short animation project (finished movie in page 17)

Started by Kadri, September 17, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

And they haven't even finished killing the earth  :o

Kadri

This is in another galaxy far far away...or something like that but certainly not related to that movie Ulco ;D

There are different planets and moons in this short animation. It will depict a very long time from the beginning to the end.
At the end are some kinda time-lapse moments too. This alien moon animation is a part of that last part.

This is one of the reason it is still not finished. The last part is -to me- complicated and i have to do many different layers etc.
1-2 years ago i wouldn't even have dared to make this scene. Not that it will be great or whatever but it is hard to do for me.
But i learned many things because of this and i am still having fun.

TheBadger

Hi kadri,
I was just thinking since you are doing kinda of a experimental short, that you may want to consider some editing tricks to make things a little easier on your self, and perhaps give you more bank for your render bucks.

I was thinking you should edit it the way music videos are edited, so that you can increase the length and deepen the story without adding more rendering.

So for example the images in proper sequence broken up by montage images, where you see every several seconds images that go in order, but the rest of the time images that are not part of the narrative but some how enhance or expand on the main narrative.

And then perhaps rather than music you could use sound effects, and when in space a strategic silence like in "2010". Or then even use some music that you really like for it.

This way you could through a lot of your stills in with just a little effects like this for example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZERDDeCvPQ or a bit more complex: http://www.schoolofmotion.com/make-a-3d-scene-from-a-still/

Or not that, but you get the idea.

;D Just getting impatient trying to motivate ;D
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Have too watch those videos first Michael.

But before i watch those you can be sure, especially as the animation progressed,
i tried very different techniques just because of render times and because o the different needs of the scenes.

Music is a part that i will just kinda patch on it at the end. Wish this was more a planed project at the beginning.
I will use a classical music most probably and it will be kinda ok hopefully.
I had already made a small library from free internet sources for the explosion and different sound effects before my HD crashed.
Have to do it ones more. I don't like it so much but there will be sound in space...mostly :)

It is the things i added in time that are too complex that made this very much time consuming.
Some are so so, some i like very much....

Thanks for the motivation  ;D

Kadri

Thanks for the links Michael.
They are nice tutorials. I already used kinda the same method in this scene with Hitfilm:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18917.msg197521.html#msg197521

I might have another go with one of my old images with the same method (see this is one of the reason this doesn't finish :) ) ...or not.

TheBadger

ahh yes, good then.   8) I remember that now.

so then you will really be able to extend things and have that as hedge against render time gaps in your story. Good to go.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I think-hope that the scene works now (barely) that i worked on for months. 11 seconds only...phew!
Could still add some parts but i call this scene finished.
There are parts of that last chapter that i will begin to work on now...they shouldn't be so hard as this one.
The image shows some parts that i made crudely and fast from a still of the same scene that i shared here before.
They are 10 times or so smaller in the animation. So it is mostly shapes. Nearly like you see them in thumbnail mode below.

AP

They may be small but still, nice greebles.

Kadri

Thanks.
A friend who saw the finished scene reminded me about a part
that i thought it might be kind of not seen by others...grrr...back to editing  ;D

Kadri

WIP star animation test. I used Lightwave for this scene:

Kadri

Another scene made with Lightwave (It is a WIP).

Dune

Kadri

Thanks Ulco.
The real animation is only half that long and will have other elements in it.
But it gave me a kinda hypnotic feeling so i made this more for kinda fun only :)

DocCharly65

archonforest

indeed very impressing machinery there! Absolutely cool!!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd