"Veldt" - Again!

Started by ratfugel, September 18, 2014, 06:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratfugel

Seems my earlier image was  just a bit too simplistic.  Thus I guessed it was only right I should have another go at producing an image purely from my fevered imagination. Must have upset someone last time as he promptly posted a photo of the place where he must have been for his holidays.  Didn't help much though. Merely got me determined to expand the original idea. Terragen is brilliant at letting you put your thoughts on to a 'puter screen.  A bit like a 3D notebook I suppose. Scrubbable if not what you wanted. (The purists amongst you lot would probably use the word 'erasable' so please excuse my home-made syntax).

rat.

archonforest

That "someone" was me and I was not upset at all. Just wanted to show how an African sky can look like as few people commented that they are not sure if the sky is good or not...etc. I did not post the photo to invalidate your work at all. I liked that render a lot actually :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

ratfugel

Thanks for your views Archonforest. I really thought I had stirred you up a bit.  The image has always been about picture composition - something which appears to be sadly lacking in many of the images here. I speak as a long term competition judge, where good composition could earn competitors some serious money. I realised that the original concept probably required a bit of extra information, and that is the reason for this latest version. Maybe a good idea, maybe not. Kudos I am not after.  Merely sharing some thoughts.

rat.

archonforest

No hard feelings man :)
I would never go into an argument 'coz how a render looks like. Usually when I say something about a render I point out what I like only. How can someone possible say that "the sky in your render looks bad or not natural"...bahh...sky and clouds can look almost everything. So sayin' that something is not natural is a brave statement.
Also the distribution of trees or other veggies? Frankly u cannot go wrong with TG as when u look around trees are growing on weird places, clouds looks like completely chaotic sometimes so who can possible decide what is natural and what is not? Nobody can, nobody can. If u like your composition then u done. Be happy. If others do not like it...then they do not like it... :o
I just love the last sentence :D :D Very deep ::)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

choronr

A striking image ....very good!

Oshyan

The latest render is quite successful. I think only the small, black, spiky bushes let it down a bit as they aren't very natural looking, both in color and shape. Replace that with a good bush model (lots of freebies around) and you'll have a winner!

- Oshyan

TheBadger

QuoteMerely sharing some thoughts.
Me too :)

QuoteThe image has always been about picture composition

Quoteclouds looks like completely chaotic sometimes so who can possible decide what is natural and what is not?

This is fascinating to me! I love this argument!
All cultures have this discussion. But recently I learned the word Penjing, which is Chinese. This argument really is all over the world for all of history  ;D IT is right up there with, is there a god?, and, why am I here? LOL I just love it.

Thanks guys. Just made me smile is all. You are with the "great" minds.
It has been eaten.

ratfugel

Encouraging to see some  positive reaction to my comments.  However, I looked high and low for some decent desert grasses, not the green sruff on my lawns, but rough semi-burnt tufty stuff growing haphazardly.  None of the tree or plant programs seem to have them.  I feel I should reiterate a remark I once passed with one of my other images.  The general idea is not to produce photographic style images, that's easy. Nothing is quite so ephemeral as a photograph.  Most of them end up in the bin eventually. A good picture, on the other hand, produced by other methods, and that includes CG sometimes, can last for ever. Take the old masters oils for instance -primitive or otherwise, they go on and on and never seem to pall.  Terragen is a program that can produce quite startling results in the proper hands ( not neccessarily mine, that's for sure).  There are artists here whose work is outstanding and they do not resemble photographs in any way, yet one feels that one could comfortably live with them on a wall.

rat.