WIP. Moab, Utah.

Started by TheBadger, September 21, 2014, 12:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Lots of, kinda, difficult problems to work out yet. But I'm really really happy about these much over exaggerated features. Notice the over hang arch at the top and the rectangular faces. I waited a long time to understand a way to add these kinds of details, had to use functions for them. And I must thank Mogn for his help. There is also some node structure from Mhaze being used here as well.

Anyway, a long way to go yet. But I just felt proud I figured out how to manipulate a set of blue nodes, somewhat.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Hey Michael, a render by you... great!

But, as you say, it's not finished. What do you want to achieve with this setup? You can probably do this also by redirecting one way (or vector displace), using Y stretched fake stones as mask. I mean the really hard edged outcrops.

inkydigit

Great start M, and Great idea/tip too Ulco! :)

TheBadger

You will have to explain that from the ground up. For one, how do you use a stone as a mask for anything?
Thanks Ulco.

Thanks Inky.

It has been eaten.

Dune

That's very easy. Like here, but then with perhaps lateral displacement after compute normal or vector displaced with the stones as function, a lot of possibilities. But it's not very nice!

AP

I found a reference photograph which is very near the town of Moab, Utah.

TheBadger

Nice pic Chris.

The area around Moab is massive! I want to visit the national forests and monuments that surround it. But I think that I would go completely insane there. That whole area is just visually overwhelming from what I have gleaned. particularly as you head south west of the town of Moab.

On the image I posted. If you don't click on it and just look at it as a thumb nail, Then it looks to be working well already. To show the whole cliff I will have to move the camera pretty far back. Certain stretching issues and such wont be as much of a problem then.
It has been eaten.

choronr

I have spent many times in and around Moab, Utah. One gets the feeling that he/she is on another planet. The Colorado River runs through it north of the town. Near there is 'Dead Horse Point' - looks like a version of the Grand Canyon. The Arches National Park is also a short distance north of town; an absolutely outstanding place to visit. This area is about seven hours from my home in Arizona.

While in the National Park, one must see 'Delicate Arch'. The hike up there reminds me of places like you see in the cartoon 'The Roadrunner and the Coyote'. The place is a Paradise for Terragineers.

choronr

PS Almost forgot; glad to see you are working on the project. Looking forward to seeing your progress along the way.

AP

Quote from: TheBadger on September 21, 2014, 11:39:11 PM
Nice pic Chris.

The area around Moab is massive! I want to visit the national forests and monuments that surround it. But I think that I would go completely insane there. That whole area is just visually overwhelming from what I have gleaned. particularly as you head south west of the town of Moab.

On the image I posted. If you don't click on it and just look at it as a thumb nail, Then it looks to be working well already. To show the whole cliff I will have to move the camera pretty far back. Certain stretching issues and such wont be as much of a problem then.

The shear immensity of the winding and layered canyons seem to go on forever. The colors are just spectacular. There are pockets of sedimentary fans of purple/grey, blue/green along with the surrounding reddish oranges. Cool stuff.

choronr

South of Moab is Montecello (Devils Canyon); then south on to Blanding - great history here. West of Blanding through the 'Comb Ridge' is the Natural Bridges State Park - well worth a hike going under the three bridges while in the canyon. A short diversion while on the way you will want to see the 'Muley Point Overlook' - you can almost see forever here.

Beyond the Natural Bridges is 'Lake Powell'; outstanding water surrounded by red rock formations everywhere. If you are up to it, west of Powell about 75 miles is 'Capital Reef State Park'. You will notice a change in the topography on the way. The very early Freemont Indians once made irrigation ditches in this area.

South of Blanding, you will see the town of 'Bluff, Utah', a Morman settlement. Further south you will see the town of .Mexican Hat - then the San Juan River. Worth seeing is the 'San Juan River Goosenecks.

If you can afford a three week trip to explore these places, take it. Utah is like another world.

TheBadger

QuoteIf you can afford a three week trip to explore these places, take it.
And 10,000 for the shrink to get me right again ;D

Chris,
I am not sure I will get the color right. Its going to be hard. But I will get a lot of believability if I can come close.

Ulco,
I was able to soften up the transition on the edges simply by reducing my noise octaves. Not perfect yet. But took me a long way in just two clicks. so thats nice.
It has been eaten.

AP

What I normally do is I grab the color RGB information from another program that I sample the photo from and just copy the RGB over to Terragen's color options.

Lady of the Lake

Here is a photo I took at the same location (I think).  Dead Horse Point.  I find the colors in what Chris posted a little too saturated.    I have lots of photos from this area because it was so beautiful and so alien looking.  You MUST go to this area if you ever get the chance.

choronr

Agree. This place is like the Grand Canyon. One year while there, some guys were para-sailing off the edge.

This also looks very similar to the San Juan River Goose Necks.