Google a bit slow...

Started by bigben, September 23, 2014, 06:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Looks like Mr Google has been doing some trawling for (geotagged) images with the hope that I'll add some more into my Google account. Got a notification to say that some of my public photos have been added to "the map". Curious, I followed the link for a real blast from the past. Only two photographs in that screen though (not counting the inset), the rest is all TG  ;)

j meyer

Oshyan

Hahaha! Priceless.

Speaking of Ben Nevis, I think we should revisit that challenge with every new version of TG. :D

- Oshyan

PabloMack

Quote from: bigben on September 23, 2014, 06:47:29 AMGot a notification to say that some of my public photos have been added to "the map"

I just noticed you're not on archonforest's map yet.

jaf

Quote from: PabloMack on September 24, 2014, 08:00:15 PM
Quote from: bigben on September 23, 2014, 06:47:29 AMGot a notification to say that some of my public photos have been added to "the map"

I just noticed you're not on archonforest's map yet.
Look at Australia.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

bigben

Yes, hiding down in the corner  ;)

Quote from: Oshyan on September 23, 2014, 10:21:14 PM
Hahaha! Priceless.

Speaking of Ben Nevis, I think we should revisit that challenge with every new version of TG. :D

- Oshyan

Yes, we've mentioned it before. I haven't found any better DEM data for it yet, but it was certainly a challenging lighting setting. That one was TG0.9. The challenge for me at the time was to get atmosphere settings that would produce the sunrise colours and provide normal lighting with the sun higher in the sky.

Oshyan

I think we last tried it with TG2 some time, maybe not many people participated though. I recall Matt doing some very credible attempts on the sky, and I think nowadays it's quite achievable. So I'd have renewed interest in seeing the terrain texturing really given a good attempt.

For anyone who isn't quite sure what we're talking about, there were various attempts to reproduce these rather Terragen-like photos of Ben Nevis that Ben here took and posted some years ago:

- Oshyan

Kadri

Very nice photos.
Especially the last two ones have a nice lighting and texture.
I think someone could really make them in Terragen 3.

Dune

But I don't know if you could do it without the erosion (masks) from WM, but it's a nice challenge.

bigben

I'll try and set up the terrain as geotiff with approximate camera positions for the shots this week.  Given that the data's going to be 90m/px I think it would be acceptable to do do some tweaking in WM as there would still be plenty of displacement work to be done in TG.
My focus would still be on the lighting. Doing both times (first shot: sun just below the horizon, other shots: sun just above the horizon) without adjusting sun/atmosphere settings in between would be really impressive.  Adding additional lights would be cheating   :P

Oshyan

SRTM should be 30m/pixel globally, at least.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Those are some great images Ben.

Oshyan,
If you had told me those were renders I would have believed you. So would have made a great image for your "is it real or render" page. I would have had to guess.
It has been eaten.