Little Dakota Creek

Started by zaxxon, October 03, 2014, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

All vegetation modeled in Speedtree. Mitchell-Netravali pixel filter, Det. 1, AA 12. Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Marty

choronr

I can't stop looking at this image; extra fine work by you.

masonspappy

Nice - especially like the 'scrubbiness'. More realistic.

Oshyan

I think the ground needs a little more bump or roughness, or maybe just some color variation, even if just subtle. It looks a bit monotone and flat (shading-wise) at the moment. That green tree is also rather wild-looking, eh? But I do like the scene overall actually, quite a bit. Aside from those two issues it all looks rather realistic to me.

- Oshyan

Dune

I agree with Oshyan. I presume it's quite evenly colored hardened clay (looks like that to me), but a little variation (and/or some pebbly clumps) may do it good. I like the central tree!

zaxxon

Oshyan: I went back and forth as to the detail level on the exposed dirt in the immediate foreground, as Dune surmised it is a sort of "baked clay". Not a lot of rocks in the prairie soil, but I think the shader here is a bit too reflective and some detail and color variation is being lost. Worth another go.

Dune: The tree is modeled after an American Elm which is a typical resident of prairie creeks.  I went thru a number of variations from ST placing them in that point til this one 'fit'. The ability to interact with the tree modeler while composing the scene is very exciting. Visualizing how a given environment might shape the  vegetation, especially a tree in an intermittent waterway was fun.

Masonspappy: Thanks. 'Scrubbiness' indeed, and to Oshyan's 'wild'; yes, but that's the intended state of this environment.  My personal approach to landscape is to pretty much leave out "The Hand of Man", or at the most to show natural environments recovering from "THOM".

Kadri and Marty: Thanks Guys, I appreciate the comments!

Bob: From one 'dry-lander' to another, muchas gracias!

TheBadger

Like it a lot too.

Only the tree in the middle bothers me. Just that its blocking my view. Tree looks good though. Entire scene looks good.
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Another great piece of work. I like the tree, we have a lot like that around us. I do agree with the comments about the baked clay, worth some more exploration.

Tangled-Universe

Very very nice :)

Most has been said already actually.
Regarding the soil I'd like to suggest to use 3 or 4 fake stone layers at different sizes and different colours.
Don't displace them, just hook a coloured PF to them and give each fake stone layer a (slightly, not too much) different hue for their high/low colours.
For sizes use something like 0.01 meters and smaller.

Especially if you render at detail 1 then you can use tiny stones :)
Make sure to do crop render tests at final render settings eventually.

I have 1 little compositional remark if I may:
The wild tree (which I like btw!) is too much in the centre.
Since it is casting a shadow to the right I'd like to suggest to move it to the left in the composition in such a way that its shadow is cast on the creek.
This way there's more focus on the creek and the creek itself isn't uniformly lit anymore, which should make it look more interesting.
In the end you may also consider clearing up the very foreground of the creek by slightly moving around those branches.

I'm very curious to see more! :)

Cheers,
Martin

archonforest

Very fine artwork. Thx for sharing it ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Lady of the Lake

This is wonderful.  I like all the dead trees in the foreground, very realistic.

DocCharly65

bobbystahr

As a life long prairie dweller who has a preference for areas without the THOM interfering, you nailed this. Looks like the view off a fave mountain bike (well prairie bump bike) trail I rode all summer. But all the tips seem well-intentioned and would give 'em a try....

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist