Wetness final

Started by choronr, October 14, 2014, 11:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Here is a low quality test (cropped) render of the settings suggested by Oshyan. My settings are GI cache detail 5, GI sample quality 5, Occlusion  weight 1. Bounce to the ounce 1 and Radius (in pixels) 75.

I did not add the plants so as to save some time here.

Dune

That looks pretty good! Does it take longer to render than 'normal'?

Tangled-Universe

A most promising test render :)

choronr

Quote from: Dune on October 15, 2014, 12:06:29 PM
That looks pretty good! Does it take longer to render than 'normal'?
Yes, judging by the low quality cropped image, it took almost twice as long to render.

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 15, 2014, 12:08:20 PM
A most promising test render :)
Thank you. I will address the water in the verge/gully so as to achieve some more murkiness.

Question to Ulco: What do you think of the tracks behind the truck?

Dune

You could try to fiddle with the GICache and detail, at 4 maybe that faster and good enough. Tracks look ok to me. You could try to move the front wheel tracks a little eastward, but you'll probably take the hindwheels tracks with it as well, as they are linked. If you, move the hind wheel tracks back west. As I said, it's quite fiddly to get it perfect, especially since the car is on a skidding angle. Straight driving is easier  ;)

choronr

Quote from: Dune on October 15, 2014, 12:17:17 PM
You could try to fiddle with the GICache and detail, at 4 maybe that faster and good enough. Tracks look ok to me. You could try to move the front wheel tracks a little eastward, but you'll probably take the hindwheels tracks with it as well, as they are linked. If you, move the hind wheel tracks back west. As I said, it's quite fiddly to get it perfect, especially since the car is on a skidding angle. Straight driving is easier  ;)
Thanks Ulco, I'll try lowering the GI cache and detail to 4 and check the results. Glad to hear the tracks look presentable. And, I agree that the straight driving position would have been easier; however, the skidding accentuates the wet, muddy road.

j meyer

Much better!
Definitely the right direction now.

choronr

Quote from: j meyer on October 15, 2014, 12:27:39 PM
Much better!
Definitely the right direction now.
Thanks Jochen. A few more minor tweaks and my 7 year old machine will get another workout.

Hannes

Bob that crop already looks fantastic! What an improvement!

choronr

Quote from: Hannes on October 15, 2014, 01:18:08 PM
Bob that crop already looks fantastic! What an improvement!
Thank you Hannes. I'm just doing one more quick render, lower quality test; and if satisfactory, will go into another final, final render.

Oshyan

I agree, definite improvement with the new lighting/shadow solution. I find it even a bit darker than it needs to be, you could reduce GI to 3/3 even, and perhaps bring GISD to 50px radius (if falloff is disabled) to strike a better balance. But if you like it that dark, then I agree 4/4 should be fine still, and save you a bit of render time.

Well done!

- Oshyan

archonforest

your render gettin'  pretty photo-realistic  That crop render is very cool ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on October 15, 2014, 03:44:25 PM
I agree, definite improvement with the new lighting/shadow solution. I find it even a bit darker than it needs to be, you could reduce GI to 3/3 even, and perhaps bring GISD to 50px radius (if falloff is disabled) to strike a better balance. But if you like it that dark, then I agree 4/4 should be fine still, and save you a bit of render time.

Well done!

- Oshyan
I was waiting for your call, thanks Oshyan. Yes, I'll try for a bit lighter; but, not much. I'm ready for another final ...then, put it to bed. The last full render was 28+ hours. Would be good if it will be reduced.

choronr

Quote from: archonforest on October 15, 2014, 04:51:21 PM
your render gettin'  pretty photo-realistic  That crop render is very cool ;)
Thank you archonforest; finally nearing the end of this project.