Old Beaver Creek

Started by alessandro, October 18, 2014, 07:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

A render done using a collection of snowy trees and the log cabin that will soon be released by me and lmx3d and some other products of mine, like the moose; the beaver lodge has been modeled with ZBrush.
As usual, the water (well, ice in this case) gives me troubles: those high reflective sparks invalidated the whole work. Tried to enable/disable Antialiasing Bloom, use different settings for highlight in the water shaders, and still no luck. Amen to that.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

Beautiful, Alessandro! Very painterly. To me these reflections look absolutely OK. If you could manage to get some of them onto the snow you'd have some nice sparkling that's so difficult to achieve.

Lady of the Lake

Dune

Nice one, Alessandro! If you like the highlights only near the camera, you can use a reflective shader for the reflective part (turn it off in the water shader), and mask that by a distance shader. So, one without highlights all over (unmasked), then after that a no color surface shader and reflective as child with highlights, but masked by a distance of say 0-50m.

alessandro

Quote from: Dune on October 18, 2014, 10:35:42 AM
Nice one, Alessandro! If you like the highlights only near the camera, you can use a reflective shader for the reflective part (turn it off in the water shader), and mask that by a distance shader. So, one without highlights all over (unmasked), then after that a no color surface shader and reflective as child with highlights, but masked by a distance of say 0-50m.

Thanks Ulco, will try that, and increase the anti-aliasing too (it was already at 10 anyway), because those sharp white dots really bug me.

alessandro

Here is a new revision: I used Ulco suggestion and had a separate reflective shader do the job. It allows to control also the smoothness of reflections, so now I like the ice more, as it doesn't have that overburn highlight that bugged me. I rendered a crop section and patched it over as I couldn't afford to re-render the whole thing.

Lady of the Lake

It's beautiful.  Would make a wonderful greeting card.

Dune

Very dreamy. Ice is very nice now. The only thing that I don't like is the deer's head (sorry).

alessandro

Quote from: Dune on October 19, 2014, 10:51:39 AM
Very dreamy. Ice is very nice now. The only thing that I don't like is the deer's head (sorry).

That's a moose actually.  :D

Antoine

Dune

Sorry, Alex. I should have seen that. But still, the neck and head look very small (almost human), mostly due to the angle, I guess.

mhaze

Lovely mood and lighting. Agree about the moose.  This would make a brilliant Christmas card ;)

alessandro

Probably because i used the unfurred version, let me see if i can fix this...

alessandro

Here comes rev.3, with the Moose now furred. Hope it's better like this, what do you say?