Jon Cheese

Started by Tangled-Universe, October 23, 2014, 05:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Yesterday I was chatting with Jon (user: Hetzen) and often when he's trying to explain me blue node/math concepts I have no clue what he is saying ;D
In Dutch we have a saying for this which literally translates to: I can't make cheese of it.

However, this time he demonstrated me how to make a cube shaped cloud and miraculously I did understand it and "could make cheese of it"....which I did ;)

Cheers Jon,
Martin

Hannes

Wow, that's crazy! Although to me it looks more like a sponge than cheese.
So how can you create a cube shaped cloud and how did you get the holes inside? Can you create clouds of any shape?

Tangled-Universe

Hi Hannes,

Yeah a sponge...I can see that too :)

The cube is simple to understand, but I would never be able to make it up myself from scratch.
Like being able to understand a different language, but unable to speak it.

I'll ask if he's fine with sharing it here...

Cheers,
Martin

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Martin.
Although I'm afraid I know how that is going to end. Jon is sharing his secrets and I won't understand anything.

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe well I think it's not that much of a big secret on how to make a cloud cube...it isn't that useful other than teaching purposes :)

And...if I can understand then you definitely can Hannes. Trust me!

Dune

Very nice, Martin. I'd say, mask a cloud by some height and SSS restrictions, then a huge concentration and deduct a perlin 3D from it.

TheBadger

Funny one. Nice playing.

It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Ulco, kudos to Jon though ;)

Quote from: Dune on October 23, 2014, 07:22:47 AM
Very nice, Martin. I'd say, mask a cloud by some height and SSS restrictions, then a huge concentration and deduct a perlin 3D from it.

No no no no...no SSS...that's no math/blue nodes ;)

But of course you're right, it would probably be much simpler to do it that way.
Indeed, I used a high density and high edge sharpness cloud and subtracted a dotted noise from it. Not Perlin3D actually, but a tweaked Voronoi 3D A vector.

Hetzen

Jon Cheese!!!! Thanks. >:(

Sure post the tgc, it was my effort in trying to explain what is happening in the math when a ray is cast at render time.

Nice adaptation btw.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hetzen on October 23, 2014, 08:10:56 AM
Jon Cheese!!!! Thanks. >:(

Sure post the tgc, it was my effort in trying to explain what is happening in the math when a ray is cast at render time.

Nice adaptation btw.

I didn't know you didn't like John Cleese :D
I know, very bad pun :P

Tangled-Universe

Hannes, here it is...

Not that difficult once you have seen it, isn't it?

j meyer

archonforest

Very cool sponge-sheese. I like it :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

Right, not that difficult once I've seen it....

But what are all those blue rectangles for? ???

Thanks a lot, but I'm afraid I was right. I have no idea how this works. Never underestimate my dumbness ;D ;D ;D

mogn

I never liked conditionals.

Create High and Low pass filters by using hard step scalars. connecting the axis to one of the input tabs,
and a constant to the other.