NWDA 2014-2015 Theme Challenge "Iceland" (UPDATE *v2)

Started by DannyG, October 26, 2014, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

And here's the new dedicated forum area for contest discussion: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/board,23.0.html
Who will be the first with a Work-in-Progress thread!? :D

- Oshyan

alessandro

Question, since I've never participated to a NDWA Challenge: can a background image (non TG3) be added (say a starry sky), through the background node, or is it forbidden?
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

Tangled-Universe

Yes Alessandro, such texture elements should be fine.

Of course it speaks for itself that sticking textures of background mountains/clouds on billboards is not allowed, as TG offers built-in features to create those.

Looking forward to see your WIP! ;)

Cheers,
Martin

alessandro

Thanks for the clarification Martin! I think I'll participate, if nothing gets in the way.

Dune

That's a sliding judgement. Of course, many textures are non-TG (like leaves and bark, terrain bases), but we have to take care where the acceptable limit is. Starry sky background can be replaced by cloudy sky, or a photo of northern lights..... To be safe (before the judges) I'd say, try to do as much in TG as possible. Starry sky is very much possible procedurally! 

TheBadger

Re whats allowed:

Um, The rules state that it has to be rendered. So as long as whats submitted is a render from TG, and everything in it is rendered (not added post) than by the posted rules it should play. Im a little uncomfortable when the rules are re-difined or elaborated on like this. i.e. stars or billboards or whatever.
I think that rules should be set before starting not evolve as we go.
It has been eaten.

DannyG

Quote from: TheBadger on November 01, 2014, 05:07:12 AM
Re whats allowed:

Um, The rules state that it has to be rendered. So as long as whats submitted is a render from TG, and everything in it is rendered (not added post) than by the posted rules it should play. Im a little uncomfortable when the rules are re-difined or elaborated on like this. i.e. stars or billboards or whatever.
I think that rules should be set before starting not evolve as we go.
Badger,
  Dune is not saying that a star background isn't allowed he is merely advising Alessandro "to be safe" and not take this too far. Too far being getting carried away with billboards. For example; having a inserted billboard be the entire focus of your image. something like that will not be allowed,  I am sure you can see our point on that, its a Terragen Challenge. We have indeed laid out the base rules, but with Terragen as flexible as it is it's impossible for us to anticipate every scenario. Certain things will need to be reviewed on a case by case basis. Hope this answers your question Micheal.
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

Yes, that was my intention. So don't take your favorite Iceland holiday picture, project on the background and render away  ;)

TheBadger

QuoteFor example; having a inserted billboard be the entire focus of your image.
QuoteDon't take your favorite Iceland holiday picture, project on the background and render away

lol. OK  ;D That I agree with. Although that would be pretty damn funny if someone does that.
It has been eaten.

alessandro

Good that this was clarified in time, because I was going to upload my contest image already LOL

kalwalt

This contest really inspiring me! i will participate for sure, soon i will open a topic with an idea of work... :)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

inkydigit

Can a terrain created in an external terrain generator be used in the competition image?
Thanks
Jason
:)

Dune

I would say, yes. Don't know what the others think.

alessandro

Quote from: inkydigit on November 16, 2014, 11:00:26 AM
Can a terrain created in an external terrain generator be used in the competition image?
Thanks
Jason
:)

Well, this certainly has to be cleared up. Also, what about the use of textures, masks and generally images created in other packages? For example, a greyscale mask used with clouds/water or terrain nodes.

zaxxon

Well since two of the prizes are terrain creations apps (World machine and Worldcreator), it probably would be poor form to ban them, as well as Geoglyph which is a plugin set of macros for World Machine. I openly used World machine in the last NWDA "Road" contest with no objections (maybe that's why I didn't win  ;)).  But that's not 'Official' until an Official makes a statement. The contest may be weighted to recognize more native TG attributes in the final judging, but that hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge. But certainly one of the stated goals of Planetside is to fit TG into a broader set of pipelines, so compatible applications should be fine (just my opinion).