NWDA 2014-2015 Theme Challenge "Iceland" (UPDATE *v2)

Started by DannyG, October 26, 2014, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

As with Roadside Terrain generators and digital elevation data are indeed allowed.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

Terrains, objects, and textures can be created in any application. Final rendering must be done in Terragen. Only gratuitous use of e.g. large background textures comprising a majority of the image are against the rules. A background starfield or nebula texture is probably fine, but if a photo background is the most impactful part of your image, you're doin' it wrong. ;)

I think it should probably be *formally* clarified in the rules that scene assets can be created in any application, but rendering must be done in TG.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

one of the prizes is every plant that Walli has. And that is awesome! But his prices are so good I never feel bad when I need to buy something that he happens to have. An even more awesome prize would be if Walli did some new plants for the winner. Than whoever wins, we all win! 

Was that too obvious?.. A pretty nice way to nag him I think  ;D
It has been eaten.

DannyG

CONTEST JUDGES:
•   NEW WORLD DIGITAL ART Partners
•   Matt Fairclough, Creator of Terragen, VFX Artist (Sucker Punch, Transformers Revenge of The Fallen, Star Trek:Nemesis, Oblivion).
•   Greg Teegarden, Supervisor of VFX Digital Domain (Oblivion, X-Men First Class, TRON Legacy, The Fifth Element)
•   Chris Harvey, Supervisor of VFX Prime Focus & Image Engine (WATCHMEN, X-Men The Last Stand, Fast & Furious 6, Battleship, ZERO DARK THIRTY, GI-JOE)
•   Alex Jevon, VFX Artist Lola Lost Productions, Illumina Digital (The Bible, Atlantis:End Of The World, Birth Of A Legend, Orbit:  Earth's Extraordinary Journey)

See Contest Update http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19056.0.html
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

alessandro

I have a question about the guideline "Rendering Terragen layers and composing in a 3rd party applications is also permitted.".

Say I want to render the sky and terrain with slightly different light settings, and composite the layers later, is that allowed? Thanks
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

DannyG

Quote from: alessandro on January 19, 2015, 09:40:12 AM
I have a question about the guideline "Rendering Terragen layers and composing in a 3rd party applications is also permitted.".

Say I want to render the sky and terrain with slightly different light settings, and composite the layers later, is that allowed? Thanks

Alessandro,
That's completely acceptable. 
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

oysteroid

Just to be clear, with regard to the size of the submitted image that has to be under 2MB, is this referring to the "judged entry" or the "raw Terragen output image" or the combined size of both? These are two different images you are talking about, one raw, straight from Terragen, and one with the allowed minor adjustments, right? And does "raw Terragen output image" mean something like a TIF or one of the other formats Terragen can save the image in? Can it be converted to JPG? The reason I ask is that if a compressed JPG is allowed, it could still have fairly large pixel dimensions at 2MB which would seem to possibly defeat the stated purpose of leveling the playing field for those with the free version.

Thanks!

DannyG

Quote from: oysteroid on January 31, 2015, 05:27:29 PM
Just to be clear, with regard to the size of the submitted image that has to be under 2MB, is this referring to the "judged entry" or the "raw Terragen output image" or the combined size of both? These are two different images you are talking about, one raw, straight from Terragen, and one with the allowed minor adjustments, right? And does "raw Terragen output image" mean something like a TIF or one of the other formats Terragen can save the image in? Can it be converted to JPG? The reason I ask is that if a compressed JPG is allowed, it could still have fairly large pixel dimensions at 2MB which would seem to possibly defeat the stated purpose of leveling the playing field for those with the free version.

Thanks!

The judged entry must be under 2MB. bmp, tiff or jpeg
Raw output- your judged entry before any postwork is done. Any format, any size.

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

oysteroid

Thanks, Danny!

One more question and I'll leave you alone!

"Contestants are to re-create a region of Iceland of their choosing with the highest level of Photo-realism as their goal."

How important is it that we literally recreate an actual place? Should our scene just have the general feel of a region of Iceland or should we aim to make the scene look as much as possible like a specific actual location in Iceland? Do we get any extra points for accuracy in re-creating a specific place?

DannyG

Quote from: oysteroid on February 01, 2015, 02:17:38 PM
Thanks, Danny!

One more question and I'll leave you alone!

"Contestants are to re-create a region of Iceland of their choosing with the highest level of Photo-realism as their goal."

How important is it that we literally recreate an actual place? Should our scene just have the general feel of a region of Iceland or should we aim to make the scene look as much as possible like a specific actual location in Iceland? Do we get any extra points for accuracy in re-creating a specific place?

This has been asked and answered in another thread.

"should we aim to make the scene look as much as possible like a specific actual location in Iceland?" <--- This is COrrect ;) You are not restricted to recreating an actual place in Iceland (so no, no extra points for that:). Capturing the mood of Iceland is the goal.

Any another questions please use the contact NWDA form or danny@nwdastore.com so I can answer them in a more timely fashion. Good luck !
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

kalwalt

Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

DannyG

Quote from: kalwalt on February 07, 2015, 05:41:50 AM
.png format is not allowed for the judge entry?

that is an error on my part. Yes png and all native export file types are allowed. I will note that on the challenge page.
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

kalwalt

Quote from: Danny on February 07, 2015, 07:16:31 AM
Quote from: kalwalt on February 07, 2015, 05:41:50 AM
.png format is not allowed for the judge entry?

that is an error on my part. Yes png and all native export file types are allowed. I will note that on the challenge page.
Danny
Thank you Danny! :)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat