SSD drives

Started by choronr, October 30, 2014, 09:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

It may be awhile before I build a new PC; or, have one built by an outside source. My question is: Do SSD drives work well with TG3? Some time ago I read somewhere in this forum where people were having issues with them.

Bob

Oshyan

No issues I'm ware of. I use a 1TB SSD daily on my awesome workstation. I'd highly recommend them. The price-per-GB is now down to a fairly reasonable level. I bought a Samsung EVO and pretty happy. Had an Intel before, also fine.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on October 31, 2014, 12:01:04 AM
No issues I'm ware of. I use a 1TB SSD daily on my awesome workstation. I'd highly recommend them. The price-per-GB is now down to a fairly reasonable level. I bought a Samsung EVO and pretty happy. Had an Intel before, also fine.

- Oshyan
Thanks Oshyan, thought I read somewhere that there were potential file/folder issues. Just saw a Samsung unit advertized at Newegg which looked interesting (about 389 bucks). I really need more speed than I now have.

My PC is getting on in age; will be eight years next June. Still working with the same CMOS. Need to keep an eye on the time.

jaf

I've had good luck with my small (128 GB) SSD so far -- use it just for booting win7 up -- hated how long my old XP system took to be ready to use.   Now it's about 30 seconds.  Like going from dial-up to broadband.

I actually keep all my apps off the SSD (except the one's that insist on installing to c:\program files, and there are a few) so I put them on a regular 500 GB drive.  For some reason I'm not annoyed with the longer load times, but I can see getting a larger SSD and migrating my apps to it.     
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

choronr

Thanks jaf, good to hear positive news so far.

otakar

I got a similar setup to Jaf, use SSD as the boot drive. Super quick Windows load times. I do have frequently used apps installed on it as well, including TG. Unfortunately, I am now dealing with a corruption issue (iastor.sys is corrupt or missing is the message) and I am dead in the water. I can still browse the drive and everything seems to still be there, but I certainly cannot boot into Windows. The Windows disk seems to be of no help (repair just keeps running and reboots) and even Clonezilla won't clone the drive onto another SSD that I just bought (NTFS volume is scheduled for a check?). So no TG for now. The system has been running fine for some two years, however.

choronr

Quote from: otakar on October 31, 2014, 02:13:50 AM
I got a similar setup to Jaf, use SSD as the boot drive. Super quick Windows load times. I do have frequently used apps installed on it as well, including TG. Unfortunately, I am now dealing with a corruption issue (iastor.sys is corrupt or missing is the message) and I am dead in the water. I can still browse the drive and everything seems to still be there, but I certainly cannot boot into Windows. The Windows disk seems to be of no help (repair just keeps running and reboots) and even Clonezilla won't clone the drive onto another SSD that I just bought (NTFS volume is scheduled for a check?). So no TG for now. The system has been running fine for some two years, however.
I sure hope you can get this fixed. Thank you for your input here.