Fusion7 free

Started by j meyer, November 10, 2014, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

Quote from: TheBadger on November 13, 2014, 10:06:39 PMI did not see anything that said "non-comercial use only".

It said" "...can be used for both personal and commercial work". To me that means no restrictions on its use. Of course they are trying to get you hooked on it but there are no strings attached as far as I can tell.

TheBadger

Ahh, really did not process that... Well, Im sold! Someone let us know when they get this thing rolling on OSX.
It has been eaten.

goldfarb

from everything I have read this is just like the lite version of Resolve - you can use it for commercial work.
and yes, of course it's designed to capture market share :)
in the VFX world there is really only one compositing app -> Nuke
After Effects simply can't handle the requirements for VFX work (see : http://scriptsofanotherdimension.tumblr.com/ )
Flame/Inferno are still VERY expensive and are use more in commercials and for finishing
so there is a real opportunity to compete with Nuke - once a mac (and even better a linux) version is released.

I see a lot of people installing this with the idea that it's a great free tool - but most of these people don't have a problem that this tool is designed to solve...if you're using After Effects and are happy with it then Fusion (or Nuke) isn't going to get you anything you don't already have/need, if you use Nuke there is no point getting Fusion, since Nuke is better and is used by far more artists/studios, if you have a Flame you're likely already using After Effects/Nuke/Smoke for prep work already, so again there is little use for Fusion. However, if you find you do need a real compositing solution or you're just interested in learning how a node based compositing app work then this is a great opportunity to try it out...until the non-commercial version of Nuke is released :)
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

PabloMack

Quote from: goldfarb on November 17, 2014, 11:15:06 AMthis is a great opportunity to try it out...until the non-commercial version of Nuke is released :)

"Non-commercial" is the key word here and Nuke seems to be quite a bit more expensive than Fusion.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PabloMack

Here is a pretty exhaustive comparison between the free and full versions. It seems the main things that are not in the free version is team work and network rendering support as well as stereoscopic tools. So if you are working alone on a project on a single computer at a time on a monoscopic project the free version seems to include just about everything the paid version has.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/compare