Fusion7 free

Started by j meyer, November 10, 2014, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Have you seen this?
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
Couldn't find the system requirements so far.

archonforest

COol ;)
Downloading. Thx for the link.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Upon Infinity

Looks neat.  But how long would it take to learn another node-based interface?

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on November 10, 2014, 01:13:58 PM
Guess it will depend on what background u have....and what tuts are available....but anyhow it does not look very easy...imho  :D

archonforest

Upon Infinity

Quote from: archonforest on November 10, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
but anyhow it does not look very easy...imho  :D

Ah, no.  The Table of Contents alone is about 10 pages... :o

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on November 10, 2014, 02:36:40 PM
Quote from: archonforest on November 10, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
but anyhow it does not look very easy...imho  :D

Ah, no.  The Table of Contents alone is about 10 pages... :o

Yeah the write up is pretty mofo :D

TheBadger

QuoteFusion features an easy and powerful node based interface so you can construct complex effects simply by connecting various types of processing together. That's super easy and extremely fast!

;) ;D

Thanks for the link and heads up!
It has been eaten.

Dune

I wouldn't know what I can or will do with it, but a free offer of something useful (if it is) is always nice.

goldfarb

Fusion is a pretty good compositor - currently Windows only, a mac version is in development...
a non-commercial version of The Foundry's Nuke is also coming soon...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

TheBadger

Quote from: goldfarb on November 11, 2014, 09:49:53 AM
Fusion is a pretty good compositor - currently Windows only, a mac version is in development...
a non-commercial version of The Foundry's Nuke is also coming soon...

I was reading some guesses by who knows who on the net, and some were saying that the mac version may be rolled into a new free version of davini resolve. Not the free "lite" version that you can have now, but a new full version.
Sounds nice anyway.
It has been eaten.

PabloMack

It seems BlackMagic acquired Fusion from EyeOn. I hope they don't ruin
it like Autodesk tends to do.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/pressdetails?releaseID=61765

Thank you j meyer for the link.

TheBadger

What were the limits on the free version? I didn't catch it when I was noodling around.
It has been eaten.

PabloMack

Quote from: TheBadger on November 12, 2014, 01:50:52 AMWhat were the limits on the free version? I didn't catch it when I was noodling around.

It seems like the main things that are missing from the free version are the collaborative and network rendering features. I am quoting from the link I gave above:

"The free of charge Fusion 7 is a fully featured solution and is not limited in it's features. It has a massive visual effects and motion graphics toolset that can be used for both personal and commercial work. Fusion 7 features an infinite 3D workspace and an easy to use node based workflow for quickly building unlimited effects. Customers get advanced 3D compositing, paint, rotoscope, retiming, stabilization, titling, an amazing 3D particle generator and multiple keyers, including Primatte. Fusion 7 also lets customers import and render 3D geometry and scenes from other applications as well as create their own elements from scratch."

"The $995 Fusion 7 Studio includes everything found in the free Fusion 7 software, plus adds extra high end features such as optical flow tools for advanced retiming, stabilization and stereoscopic 3D production, support for third party OpenFX plug ins, and distributed network rendering so customers can render jobs on an unlimited number of computers at no additional cost! Fusion 7 Studio also includes Generation, a studio wide multi user workflow and collaboration tool that helps creative teams manage, track and review versions of every shot in a production. Customers can also move projects from the free Fusion 7 software to a workstation running Fusion 7 Studio and take advantage of workflow collaboration and unlimited distributed network rendering."

"Unlike other software, Fusion 7 Studio doesn't require annual maintenance fees, subscriptions, a connection to the cloud, or per node render license costs. That means customers don't get tricked into hidden or on going costly payments for software they've already purchased."

All I can say is WOW! I think I'm going to learn how to use it as advanced compositing is the one big hole in my work flow. I think it will be more capable than After Effects for 3D composting but it is not as general purpose for 2D work. It seems that image stabilization is a basic feature that is missing in the free version. I have SynthEyes so that may not be a problem. I think the nodal system will make it more powerful than AE. But there are no restrictions on commercial use. Its the best deal of the year! If I really like it and I need the full featured version $995 is really within striking distance.

TheBadger

Thats all good. But I meant I did not see anything that said "non-comercial use only". I was wondering if they are doing some kind of, you pay only if you earn, thing, or something. Or some other pay scheme. (no negative connotation intended)

To me this reads as an attempt to grab up market share. Much the same way that AutoDesk does by giving free soft to students. Once you have taken the time to learn Maya, you dont really want to go through it again with something else. No mater how much you may hate maya.

I would hope that this is better software than what autodesk makes, though... Sure looks nice. Won't deny that I am eager to see the OSX version in whatever form that takes.
It has been eaten.