Arctic screw up

Started by alessandro, November 10, 2014, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

This image is called "Arctic screw up" because I failed to create what I had in mind: I wanted to create a more dramatic landscape, add a polar bear with cub in front etc., but after a 24hr. render, I noticed the ice pack in front was not blocky and sharp as I wanted, and that the icebergs didn't show up the glossiness and shading I thought I had in preview renders. Nonetheless, also failed attempts are worth showing I think.

www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

I like it anyway too.

As far as your own comments, you could always paint over it. Would be an awesome starting place for a matte painting. Could make the ice perfect in that way.
It has been eaten.

Dune

The upper part is really nice. I like the dirty bergs, their shapes and the sky very much. You could work on the underpart only and try straighter flows. You need awfully hard billows, vertical displacement, and some fractal warp. Since the water is not really transparent, you don't need to make the bergs on the water, but can put them on a submerged plane. Using a displacement shader with a clamped color for the flows you can get quite flat tops.

Oshyan

I agree almost entirely with Ulco. I like this image a lot already, as I said on FB. Worth refining IMO, though I know there are probably endless scenes you could be spending your limited time on... :)

- Oshyan

Hannes

This already looks quite promising and you should definitely spend some time to improve it. It's not easy to get that realistic icy look in TG, but maybe you can fake it somehow.

choronr

Each day brings new ideas; you will get there.