How do "normal" people learn Terragen?

Started by Upon Infinity, November 17, 2014, 12:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

And by normal, I mean, people who are currently using it in industry, film, etc.

Are there courses to take?  Is Terragen very similar to other programs being used that it is remarkably easy to just "pick up" after using those programs?

Assuming they're not checking in on the forum 5 times a day like I do.

archonforest

I asked this question before. The answer I got from one of the PS staff was: TG works very similar like other pro 3d rendering software's so PRO users can pick it up very easy.

I wish to have courses but I found nothing except the videos from Vladimir from....damn I forgot the site... :-[
Those videos are very good in order to learn TG imho.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Upon Infinity

I think you're referring to Geek At Play.  Yes, they do good videos.

Urantia Jerry

Vladimir's Site is: www.geekatplay.com.  I HIGHLY recommend his tutorials for anyone wanting to become more proficient with Terragen 3. Very much worth the price!

EDIT:  I would also recommend the Terralive Videos which are also very good. They can be found Here: http://3dartdirect.com/?s=terralive&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

archonforest

Quote from: Urantia Jerry on November 17, 2014, 01:54:18 PM
Vladimir's Site is: www.geekatplay.com.  I HIGHLY recommend his tutorials for anyone wanting to become more proficient with Terragen 3. Very much worth the price!

EDIT:  I would also recommend the Terralive Videos which are also very good. They can be found Here: http://3dartdirect.com/?s=terralive&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Those Terralive videos are free or have to pay for them? Somehow I cannot see how they work ???
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on November 17, 2014, 08:39:01 PM
I don't buy your definition of normal.  :P

I was thinking of people who aren't us.   ;)

Dune

I never see any post by people who use it in film, etc. Which is too bad. So either they're not very good at all (and use it just for some vague backgrounds), or don't bother, but just pick up the info provided here...... (trying to lure them out  ::) )

Oshyan

Greg Teegarden posts here pretty regularly, he does quite a lot of high-end VFX work. There are a few others, though most admittedly don't post regularly or don't post *technique* stuff that much. Kevin Kipper has posted about work he's done though...

- Oshyan

Dune

You're right. I can also understand if people can't post if it's under a restriction, but if they have some interesting techno info that we don't know of, I'd love to see some.

Oshyan

Well, they may not know anything you don't know, in fact they probably don't. You crank out high quality, interesting, and fairly "directed" work (i.e. you are able to create a specific thing you envisioned in your mind) quite quickly.

If there is a big difference between the average (or even expert) TG-ers here and the folks doing environment work and general VFX work professionally, it's this (and you might not like it :D ): they are after results and results only and they will use any means to get them. They have no loyalty to particular tools or methods (or, if they do, it is a potential handicap, though they may turn it to their advantage by becoming experts at it). If TG isn't doing what they need, or isn't doing it exactly as they need it, they may not use it, or they may simply use it to the point that it works, and adjust it the rest of the way with other methods of tools. Whether that's exporting terrain geometry to sculpt in Zbrush and doing final render in Maya or Renderman or something, or re-importing into TG for base render, and compositing or painting over extra detail, etc, etc., the reality is that TG is seldom expected to solely carry an image, whereas with most imagery here the opposite is true. So in fact the demands on TG artists here are higher where pure Terragen knowledge and capability are concerned. If a VFX artist can't quickly figure out how to add tracks in a muddy road in TG, or can't position them exactly right, they'll add them in compositing or something. You as a commercial artist actually take a similar approach I think, but you lean more toward the person who has a genuine like of a particular tool and so has chosen to become an expert at it. But you have strong traditional painting skills that you know can make up for anything you aren't able to do in TG. Still sometimes you struggle to get something working in TG when it may well be faster to paint it, so that's interesting.

Ultimately there is no hidden trove of knowledge, no magic bullet. Most VFX work done with TG is frankly no better than the stuff you guys do here, some of it not even that good. That's not a knock on Terragen, it's more a comment on the fast-paced, high-pressure VFX industry, where results have to be fast first, and good second, and most of all they have to meet the desires of the director/designer/etc. who may have little or no interest in realism or the beauty of landscapes and just wants a mountain background that doesn't interfere with the 3D car model they're driving through it. But still Terragen serves its purpose and contributes to the end product in a meaningful and useful way. It is a tool, often part of a whole. You guys working here have the luxury of focusing on environments for their own sake and the sheer pleasure of it (at least sometimes), and that's a great thing, it produces work that has true personal inspiration, even love behind it.

The only other things *some* VFX people have, that I think are much less unique to them and so I did not focus on them, are familiarity with node-based interfaces and workflows, and an existing understanding of computer graphics and some of the math that goes into going from numbers to images. But there are many people here who are quite proficient in both those areas too, and in many cases I think the fancy node trickery that goes on here is well beyond what most TG professionals are using on a daily basis.

Speaking of TG pros working in the VFX industry, a couple other regulars I forgot to mention. Richard Fraser and Jon West (Hetzen) are both active here, and Jon in particular contributes to technique threads regularly (thanks Jon!). :)

- Oshyan

Dune

You're absolutely right again, Oshyan. And of course I don't forget Jon and Richard. Actually I should learn some other techniques and not focus on TG so much, but the need isn't that high atm. Still, like the things DocCharly just posted are nice to see.

bobbystahr

Mike, the creator of my old app Imagine3D said many time in regard to the industry...it's just another hammer...use em all. But here a lot of us really love doing it mainly(except for modeling)right in TG2_3
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

PabloMack

Thanks, Oshyan and everyone, for taking the time to write the long narrative about "us". It was poetry to my ears. Makes me feel better about not being "normal".  :)

zaxxon

Interesting thoughts on Terragen's place with professional users and production realities. Oshyan as usual has a keen perspective, and it's hard to doubt his insight. However, another issue has to be Terragen's lack of interoperability with current pipelines.  If I'm a CG pro I want to work easily with apps like Zbrush and Mudbox, I want FBX, I want normal maps and subD proxies, I want a renderer that does proper displacements, I want GPU rendered previews. I know that Matt is at Digital Domain and has a much clearer idea than I of what CG pro's want, and I believe that given the resources, that TG could be a monster program in the mainstream CG world. I use TG because quite simply it is the best artist's toolbox to do natural scenery images. I'm always a little amazed that the program can be made to perform kinda like Max or Maya, but really folks: Max and Maya do it better. But as one man, standing at a digital easel creating natural scenery, nobody does it better than TG! Really.