Planet Spinner

Started by efflux, July 26, 2007, 02:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

mogn, I got some time to change the graph so did so but could only see 3 nodes that could be removed, as far as I can tell.

mogn

My fault, I didnt remark that you uses the same scalar in two of your mulipliers!

efflux

OK.  Your advice was good though because the change makes the original graph from the planet easier to read. No point in making things more confusing. I'm glad I changed it.

Volker Harun

Just to push this thread to its place ... the top ,-)

efflux

He he. Nice work Volker.

efflux

One important point here is that although a lot of my work does not exactly fall into a planet earth realism, some of these techniques are entirely usable in those types of scenes. If you look at my render here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_152/file_1519979.jpg

It has those sine/cosine functions. You can see some lines in the rocks at the top left but if you look closely at the terrain under that big twisting thing just at the base of the cliffs around where that sandy coloured area is then you'll see faint sine functions creating very subtle lines or undulating strata. it's the exact function as described in this thread.

Seth

sweeeeeet ! too bad i don't understand a damn thing about functions ! ^^

efflux

For another example if you create a straightforward one dimensional sine then mix it with a perlin or something you have a ploughed field look.

bigben

Great work.... There are definitely lots of uses for this as you say in both realistic and "artistic" applications. The momentum on this forum at the moment is a little hard to keep up with  ;)

efflux

Here's another angle I have on the back boiler. Procedural cityscapes. With the right functions we can go way WAY beyond what you see in this image which was my first experiment:

It's not a whole lot removed from the sine ideas but using full fractals.

nvseal

That looks great. Definitely keep going that direction. Oh, and make a tutorial to go with it.  ;D

efflux

It's probably an idea that would fit well with your high planet views with clouds. Because even in a simple state like in the above render, it would look cool too see from space. TG2 is rendering at the moment so I can't open the file and study to give a better description. One thing I know from using Mojo is that incredible cybercity type forms are possible. Mojo has a few extra functions useful for this type of thing though but nothing that TG2 won't have in future, I have no doubt.

rcallicotte

Oh, please give us a tutorial.  This is awesome!   :o
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

it looks like a well organized and designed sci-fi city!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Mr_Lamppost

Reminds me of that night time "Grid" view of L  A.  :D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.