a very disheartening problem with a DEM

Started by TheBadger, November 22, 2014, 09:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Oh yes, yet another question  :o

So I found a DEM of a volcano. The file is massive in square miles so I masked it with a SimpShapShader. Well as you may guess, the area of the volcano is of course many more miles above sea level than the rest of my scene. And Obviously, the sss leaves some mean ass walls around the edges.

How can I lower the DEM relative to my scene terrain, so that I can make the area of interest flow into my terrain?
or
How can I raise my scene terrain to meet the DEM mask edges, without changing the look of my terrain?

Please tell me there is a way!!! It would be so cool if there is a way.  ???
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Thank you Kadri.

Im pretty new to it my self. Never even looked at these Hightfield operators before.
The one you linked sounds good by the wiki.

I tried it. Not sure if I should plug the operator into the load node for the dem, or the first mask input of the main dem node.

When I plug the operator into the load node, nothing happens just from attaching it. And when I plug it into the first mask input of the dem node, my volcano disappears. Adjusting the sliders does not appear to do anything. But Im not sure what to do anyway. The wikki is unclear.

One thing I thought to do was place the volcano on another planet inside my main one. But I think that will get really frustrating trying to make a really smooth blend.

What else do you think about this?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I made a basic test with a TER file and this worked by changing the "add height" to negative or positive numbers.

[attachimg=1]

I will try with a DEM file too.

Kadri

It worked the same way with a "Geog heightfield load" node too (with a DEM file).

TheBadger

Thank you for verifying that it works like you thought it would.
I realize now that I had the first check box ticked, and you don't. so that may have been my problem then.

Still not clear what the first options do? But Im glad that this will work now.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I think you basically scale the heighfield to the numbers you use in that option.
Your heighfields lowest point might be -100 and the highest might be 500 for example.
If you put 200 and 0 ın those two fields it will scale the points of your original heigfield to those numbers.
So now the lowest point wil be 0 and the highest 200. At least that is what i understand.

Oshyan

Use the Node List to add these kinds of nodes, it's way easier, it takes care of hooking them up for you in the right place automatically. The Node List is actually quite handy for some things...

And yes, Kadri's explanation of the Set Height Range option: it sets a specific and exact height range, highest and lowest points get scaled to set to those values (in Meters, like most other things in TG), and then the rest of the terrain values are scaled to fall in-between those values. The other two options are fairly straightforward, a multiplier to the existing height (not in meters, this is the number by which the existing heights are multiplied), or an addition to the existing height.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

QuoteUse the Node List to add these kinds of nodes, it's way easier, it takes care of hooking them up for you in the right place automatically. The Node List is actually quite handy for some things...

Thank you. Good idea!
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Hey, wanted to say that I was able to use this and it is f-ing great! There is a ton I can do with this!

But I also wanted to make a note of the fact that when using a DEM loader, you have to connect the vert adjust manually. Auto puts it in the wrong place.

The operator must be between the loader and the shader as in Kadri's example in the hightfield input. Auto brings the operator into the "mask heightfield" input which does not work as far as I can tell.

But yes, again, THIS IS FREAKING GREAT!!!
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Seems to be working properly for me in the node list. Want to record another video? :D

- Oshyan

TheBadger

lol, maybe. But perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by node list.

the 3 ways I know how to add a node (other than by using the main tabs at the top of the TG UI) is 1) left click, find, add. In this way a unconnected node is added. 2) "N" key, same thing. And 3) Click in the nodes parameter on the green plus/black arrow button.

The last one I mentioned puts the new node where I said, in this case.

But Im feeling like you mean something else by the "node list"?
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Yes, indeed I do. An entire area of the UI that you (and many others) probably sadly ignore, to their detriment. :D I think this may be why everyone feels like they have to learn how to use the node network and get sometimes frustrated by it. But the reality is there's another way, not as flexible, but just as useful in its own way...

Over on the left there in every Layout view is a list of the nodes in the group and of the type that matches the layout you're in, e.g. in Terrain you'll see the nodes in the Terrain group (but not, say, an object node you add to that group, as it's not of the right type, e.g. surface shaders). Right, so there's this list. It's semi-hierarchical, which can be handy, though also occasionally confusing, so the node network itself is often a better representation of node connections. But if you have a lot of nodes, scrolling through a list can be a better way to find a specific one than trying to find it in a messy network, so there's that.

Anyway, the main reason why it's useful are the buttons. Depending on which Layout you're in, these buttons will change, they are contextual and are useful to deal with the particular node types associated with each Layout. So in the Terrain layout, you have an Add Terrain button, which give you quick access to the most commonly used Terrain nodes. Of course if you know what those are already, using one of the other methods you mentioned *might* be faster, but this button also automatically connects them into the network, so there's that (one of your methods does too, of course). Below that (and below the list itself), you'll also find buttons to move nodes up and down in the network flow, which is something that actually takes 2 steps in the node network, but just 1 button click here. Handy sometimes.

Last but certainly not least you have the Add Operator button. There are a couple of nice things about this. First, it only highlights and becomes active when you have a node selected that it can operate on. It's easy to look at nodes in the main node adding menu and not really understand that they won't work for a particular node you want to connect them to, and the only way to find out is to add it and try to connect it (there are other hints in some cases, but it's not immediately intuitive most of the time). With this button you know that the Heightfield Operators only work with Heightfield nodes. The last handy thing about using this button is that does, as I said, automatically connect the added operator where it needs to go. For example if you have the Heightfield Shader itself selected, it knows that the operator actually needs to connect *between* the heightfield load/generate node and its Heightfield Shader. And if you have the Heightfield Shader selected, it still puts it in the right place. In fact even if you have a Heightfield Operator like Heightfield Adjust Vertical selected and you attempt to add another one, it will still do the right thing. So it takes some of the confusion out of using these operators basically.

That model of contextually useful buttons and functions in the node list is mirrored for all the other layouts too. Look in the Objects layout and you a handy list of object types you can add, along with a quick button for adding from the library. Once again the functionality here is designed to streamline things for you. Of course there is a big old Library button right above this, but if you want to open an Object from the library you have to click that button, then expand the Type or Category items and select Objects to filter to just objects. Using the option from the button at top of the Objects node list takes you right to a pre-filtered list of only objects in the Library. It's a little thing, but it saves time and makes things easier. Then below the node list you'll find a Gear button for options, in this case some of these options are *only* available here under this button, so definitely worth knowing about. And then there's a Populate All button, which you may know is also available under the Project main menu.

The buttons under the Shader layout are a bit simpler but still handy in the context they provide and the way they connect nodes. You can Add Layer, which is fairly straightforward, showing especially the Surface Layer for quick access, but coming in TG 3.2 there will also be an option to add multiple Geog Image Map Shaders, and I believe that's the only button that does it; it opens a special multi-file open dialog. There is also an Add Child Layer button which only activates when you have a Surface Layer selected, again giving you context as to what kind of nodes can do this, and again automatically taking care of the node connection.

I'll leave it to you to explore the rest of the Node List functionality, things like the cloud presets in the Atmosphere tab (not available anywhere else, even in the Library)...

Basically the node list is an important part of an efficient workflow in TG3. Thinking that all work should be done in the Node Network is definitely going to make your work slower. The node network is useful but it is not a magic bullet or a tool that handles everything with equal grace. Sometimes lists, or at least the buttons that accompany them, are quite handy...

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

I've often wondered why lots of folks don't use the List view. I've used it from the start as it reminds me of the way Imagine3D worked so was automatically comfortable with it. I've learned a fair bit about the Node view by using the list view and watching what connected up when I did it so when I sometimes default to using Node view there's no confusion about where to hook stuff up.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I work exlusively in the node network and add my new nodes by rightclicking in blank space, then add them where I want. I tried the favorites popup screen, but after a while didn't use it anymore, rightclick was just as fast. I only use the left side for the pop settings.