Atlantic Primeval Forest

Started by Dune, November 25, 2014, 01:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Second in line for the book is this forest, earlier shown as a dull top view. I'm hoping to make it more lively, discussing the location of a small camp and field now. I have some work on the trees, the left area (black alders) is too 'grey'. I will also add Bog Myrtle (Candle Berry) in autumn colors in the central swamp area, and moose. I like the rain effect, but will try to make the far sky really dark.

Any comments, please shoot! Don't worry about the dead trees, too many and some float more or less.

Oshyan

Looks pretty nice. My only comments are first, does the forest really change color that way, in small patches? Are those different kinds of trees than the rest? If not I'd at least expect the majority to be going yellow if some are already red. Second, I think the rain effect looks more like smoke, I think because of the density at the apparent distance (unless this is *very* heavy rain, we appear to be just a mile or so from it, it should look less dense I think), and maybe also the edge sharpness, again because of the apparent distance. I may not be able to pinpoint exactly why the rain is not working for me, I like the idea but it needs a little tweaking IMO.

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks Oshyan, that's comment I can work with. The black alders remain quite green until spring, never really turn yellow or red, so a distinction should be okay. The edges of the swamp are a band of swamp trees, like the black alders and beech, higher up are oaks and ashes (I believe is the english word), which will turn yellow/reddishbrown. But you made me realize the beeches should be bright yellow by now. I'll experiment with the rain also.

TheBadger

I like the layout a lot too.

The thing that I noticed right away is the fractal you used on the bog/marsh. For the "cells". The pattern is obvious (made of greens).
That needs to be broken up for sure. I mean the cell, not the greens.  ;D
It has been eaten.

Dune

These cells should be quite like this, made in Siberia.

TheBadger

hmmm, well its close for sure. But feels more mathematical than organic in your render to me in that view. Just what I saw.
It has been eaten.

Dune

I'll check it out, maybe increase fractal warp a bit. Thanks.

Oshyan

Yes, my thoughts exactly Ulco: I saw it and thought "ahh, a lovely coincidence of nature and fractal geometry, well realized in TG". It looks weird, but it's right (or plausible, at least). But maybe Badger is right, a little bit of warp wouldn't hurt.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

Changed the light, which is going to be 'Rembrandtlike'.  Some crops... and total, though loQ.

archonforest

Echo Kadri...the last one is awesome ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mhaze

Interesting and challenging work. The last one is truly impressive.

Dune

Thanks guys, now working on the smaller veggies.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.