Suncolor?

Started by Brrrt, November 30, 2014, 10:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brrrt

Hi,

Why does the sun on this render turn out as white-ish, while the reflection is orangy?
I had the suncolor set to light orange but it turns out as almost white.
I had it happen more often with other renderings.
The same for the yellow reflection and white-ish sun in pic #2[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

Oshyan

There are various factors which contribute to specular color, and I can't say for certain that these results are physically correct. However they are not implausible. Much of this may have to do with relative brightness levels. Pure "Red" at the level of brightness that the sun has will appear to be much lighter (in color), for example. But this is just due to the limitations of your display; if you save the image to EXR and take it into an image editor that supports EXR like Photoshop, then reduce the Exposure, you will see the expected color value. So this may just have to do with how Terragen handles brightness in a more real-world way.

If you don't really care whether it's realistic and just want to fix it, you can just adjust the Reflection Tint. Since you're probably using a Water Shader now, you'd have to replace it with a Reflective Shader to get that setting. If you want to maintain the transparency settings of the water you can just turn Reflectivity to 0 in the Water Shader and put the Reflective Shader below it in the shader network, before it goes into the Lake node (or whatever you have your water shader attached to).

- Oshyan

Matt

It looks like you might have atmosphere setting which are making a blue-ish glow around the sun, which makes it look like the sun is more blue than it really is. There are various ways this could happen. It might be caused by the glow settings in the Lighting tab of the atmosphere (you might want to compare them with settings in the default scene), or it might be due to your atmosphere colours being too blue.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Brrrt

Thank you for the good replies.
Terrains are hard when you just know basic 3D rendering.
I like the tutorials and free demos and user files here.
The learning curve for basic landscaping and populations is slow but still interesting.
I used T2 free on an old computer a few years ago, but I couldn't stand waiting for 24 or more hours for a 800x600 picture.
Next I want to experiment with more than just basic rockformations, lakes and sky settings. And strange planetary landscapes.
My weird rocks must look funny to an experienced user ;D
But generating realistic rocks is difficult when you don't know what all the settings mean or how they interact.
And then having to wait 5 hours for a rendering.
But I suppose that that is the charm of it ;)