inkydigit's Iceland renders

Started by inkydigit, December 01, 2014, 05:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Really good! My eye gets drawn to the water, how'd you add that in? Via a mask?

inkydigit

A minor update...lo res - Squeezing renders in between work etc.... Many fruitless tests, my strata vanished for a while.... Adding a mask with a merge shader messed up all the displacements?
Thankfully it was an easy fix... I used one mask rather than two merged... :))
Pw=Some fairly light and contrast tweaks in snapseed...
Still stacks to do.... More breakup (more colours?) thermal steam still not entirely happy with - some additional procedural masking will be tried next....
Starting to panic
:)
Cheers
Inky

inkydigit

Ps @ otakar yes image maps and procedural (power fractal)
J

choronr

ADE

Henry Blewer

Keep working. You are very close.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

ADE

great textures there on the rocks Mr Ink!!!!

Artby

Epic lighting and great sense of scale !
I really like the background and the river, but not sure about the clouds...  They looks a bit "digital" to me, but this is just my opinion. Have you some image references to work with ?

inkydigit

thanks folks,
tweaking into the wee hours is frazzling my brain... I can see faces in the prepass!!!

next one up shortly, more tweaks yet to do, arghhh!
it is never really finished is it?
@Artby, thanks a lot... :) - I agree about the distant clouds/steam/mist... we are cloud warping at present, some additional masking may well be used too...
there are smoking steaming fumaroles that I was using as reference - some are like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98364818@N00/8353113553
any how, I'll prep my next image for posting shortly...
cheers
Jason
Quote from: Artby on February 05, 2015, 03:28:26 PM
Epic lighting and great sense of scale !
I really like the background and the river, but not sure about the clouds...  They looks a bit "digital" to me, but this is just my opinion. Have you some image references to work with ?

inkydigit

Another small update, tiny tweaks... Still not happy... Next one cooking....
Truck will most likely be replaced with Jochen's lovely LR 110s ;)
Small rocks and distant steam or mist is problematic.... So hard to get right, it's like knitting a jellyfish.

Some quick and dirty pw with snapseed on the iPad...
A bit too rough this time maybe?
Onwards and upwards
Cheers
J

choronr

The details here are striking Jason. Maybe brighten up the streams with some luminosity?

Oshyan

Luminosity? If we're looking at the same streams (in the distance?), I think they're bright enough as-is, and looking pretty good. Oh wait, *steam*? Just as an experiment, crop render the upper 1/4 or 1/3 of the image at moderate resolution and enable Receive Shadows from Surfaces in the Cloud (steam) layer...

As for the post work, as I mentioned on FB I think it's a bit too bright now. I liked the dark, contrasty approach you had before. But either way it's a stupendous terrain with outstanding details. Undeniably one of your best works to date, in fact I'd probably pick it as my personal favorite of everything you've ever done (and I do like your other work, so that's saying a lot :D ).

- Oshyan

AaronTyler

inkydigit

Thanks Bob, Oshyan and Aaron... :)
The final few tweaks, before I hit the render button:
enabled receive shadows from ... in the steam... looking good so far(?), & did not impact too much on render time, Jochen's amazing LR 110's (big thanks Jochen!) added a paint job of my own... :)
You can see in the larger FG crop that the tyre tracks are obliterated by the shadow of the rocks that were out of frame... I always forget about wee thing like that... testing soft shadows at present, will post more soon, :)

anyone used a render farm for single images yet?
severely tempted lol!
:))
J

kalwalt

Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat