Part 3: Iron Age.

Started by Dune, December 03, 2014, 02:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

@ Hannes; yes. It was the cutoff end of a branch that has a tif as texture, but I added an alpha mask (which is not needed), but needs to be checked nonetheless.
@Nils; good idea, but I have to research how these Iron Age people plowed. They might already have had some wooden thing and an oxen. If they did by hand it's less logical. 

bobbystahr

Seems to me to need paths actually leading to the fields. All the paths visible go past fields but not to them. It's really obvious to me at least, in the large view where you see all the fields. And that stream seems more like a river in width. Could use a bridge of some kind.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The color of those gray-blue fields seems odd to me. What are they? Clay-heavy soil? Some kind of plant?

- Oshyan

Dune

The stream is 5m wide (measured it), at the front will be a 'voorde', shallow passing area. Bridges were not 'invented' back then I guess. Bottom will be sandy, but the whole stream area will be different I just heard. I know about the paths, but the main (passing by) paths will be travelled more frequently and thus clear of grass, the paths leading to the fields might be more overgrown, as they weren't used very often.
The bluish fields are flaxen (but I still have to refine the colors): https://www.google.nl/search?q=flax&client=firefox-a&hs=5Ms&rls=org.mozilla:nl:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=rsSCVNzaBoWxUbyFgtgP&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1081#rls=org.mozilla:nl:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&q=flaxfield

It's this area and POV actually, if you look carefully there's still a trace to be seen of the old fields in today's meadows.

bobbystahr

D'oh, of course there were no bridges yet they lived in mud constructs...I'm guessing a a 'voorde' is what's called a 'ford' in English and by gum you can see a bit of the old. You are blessed to live where you can see man's passing in the ground all the way back to then. Gotcha on the small paths.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

For the time being this will be the prelude to the final image, in terms of layout. Vegetation colors mostly need to be adjusted to July still. Fall colors out, then more detail in the homesteads.

Hannes

What a masterpiece! You really managed to make the horizon look kind of natural now although it's absolutely flat.

DocCharly65

As Hannes said: absolutely masterpiece!

The before unplanted farmlands is fallow land now? Looks like the perfect solution.
I could watch it for hours!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on December 07, 2014, 05:24:26 AM
What a masterpiece! You really managed to make the horizon look kind of natural now although it's absolutely flat.

It's kinda like that here in the Canadian Prairies....so to me it seems totally natural/real. Great work Ulco, like the solution to the creek/stream as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Dune

Too bad guys, it's far to wooded I heard. Needed more heathland, opener stream area. So there goes the beautiful image. Here's another try... curious what they'll say now.

bobbystahr

I actually like this version even better. Shows the lovely ground textures off well and is likely more like it was then when they were burning and building with a fair bit of the forest.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

The new one's not bad either. Maybe the stream needs a little bit of shore, or different underwater texturing? Some fake stones in the "stream bed"?

- Oshyan

choronr

I can look at what you've done here for hours; masterful indeed!

Dune

No stones in the stream, this is Holland, remember! It's supposed to be a slow moving stream through boglike 'valley', so it might even need areas that stream unseen, i.e. covered by vegetation, or the stream decreased to a very thin line. I have to check again. I can't wait to render this in high resolution at 8400px wide, that'll be something. But I have to add detail still and not make any mistakes, like at the 2 top arrows. I had the maps repeated to get some patches of heather beyond the principle mapped area, but the field 'walls' are repeated too, so I have to map that out again, or something (or just do a little post). The lower arrow points to a 'hunebed', which unfortunately is rather distant and thus hardly visible.