Part 3: Iron Age.

Started by Dune, December 03, 2014, 02:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Part three of the book; a celtic field setting, first croptest on final resolution (will be 3-4x smaller in book). The whole image is 6-7 times as wide as this. I need to add a lot more tree species, get the fields to look convincing and fill the homesteads with the right buildings and stuff. Perhaps the POV will be shifted to include a small creek and passing place up front.
Fields are flax, some wheat, some bare.

AP

That is quite something vast you have there. Maybe the trees are too uniform in gap size and perhaps add a few trees that are dead or just less leaves but I do not know if that is possible. 

Mahnmut

I like the sound of "first crop test" in the context of "celtic filed setting" ;)
Great Project by the way!

Cheers,
J

Dune

That is all possible, but like I said, this was the first test, and a lot of trees will be added, and the distribution finetuned. Some dead trees wil get in too, thanks for reminding me anyway.

bobbystahr

brilliant....love that long house you've made. the field dividers are perfect as well...just build ups of dirt....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Great!! Even without knowing that it was you, who created that, I would have spotted immediately that this is a "Glimmerveen"! ;)

TheBadger

I like this one a lot as well.
Only thing that I questioned was the very distant horizon. Just curious if there is such a flat place covering such a distance that you would be able to see a flat horizon line like that. If so great, if not, then what is likely to be there?
It has been eaten.

Dune

Yes, I sometimes get sick of these flat horizons, but we have no mountains, just a few hills in the south (300m), and this area is not undulating more than 20m. Makes it hard to make an interesting horizon line, I know.

Oshyan

Yes, the "flat horizon" question comes up a lot for poor Ulco, hehe. He must be a slave to realism quite often, whereas many of the rest of us can embellish if we don't like a terrain for artistic reasons alone. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks for your consideration, I'm really to be pitied  :(
Maybe some low vapor again... or breakup the tree coverage (if that's scientifically correct), we'll see. Here's some more tests, slowly building up the contents, and noticing that I forgot an alpha mask to be checked.
I realize this will be printed and thus seen not at 100%, but at 25% max size, so I won't bother with grasses. Though seen at 100% the ground doesn't look really good.

Crits are welcome of course!!

Dune

Added another detail. I changed the POV so a small stream is visible in front. They might like that, though you're further away from the farms now. Have to work on that area...

Hannes

Impressive Ulco! Did you refer to these three white spots in your Test-10 image when you wrote that you forgot to enable the alpha?

DocCharly65

I already love it. Just great, plausible and realistic look!

Little suggestion: perhaps some plow grooves the unplanted farmlands?

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram