Video Card Evolution

Started by PabloMack, December 03, 2014, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

I bought a new video card that should arrive tomorrow for a system that will be my MoCap computer. This is apparently necessary as I just received a MicroSoft Kinect camera as well as the LightWave NevronMotion plugin for motion capture.

I am puzzled that the "improvements" in the video card are a mixed bag relative to my older video card. The older card (9800 GT) has twice the memory bandwidth of the new card (GT 740). The older card has twice the texture mapping speed, faster pixel rate and twice the texture mapping units as the new card yet the new card has a lot more "shading units" and twice the floating point performance along with four times the memory (4GB vs. 1GB). The new card is less expensive but I presumed this is because prices tend to go down for newer products. Does anyone have any opinions on this subject?

Oshyan

The 9800 is from a completely different generation of hardware, the "specs" are simply not comparable. It's akin to wondering why a 3.8Ghz Pentium 4 would be slower than a 1.6Ghz Core i3 CPU. The newer architecture is more efficient, has newer methods and technologies, etc.

If I were buying a new GPU right now I'd be looking at a GT 970. Sure it's a lot more expensive, relatively speaking, but it's going to be soooo much faster. :D

- Oshyan