Icefalls

Started by Lucio, July 27, 2007, 10:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectX

I never worked out the point of the lambert shader, I mean, lambert's a lighting system isn't it? shouldn't we have a uniform type of lighting over all objects, to improve realism?

Tangled-Universe

Personally I like the first render more. Simply because it contains more elements, like trees with snow on it and a more visible atmo. Technically the second is more interesting. I really like the work on the ice on the right, very convincing. Did you indeed use a lambert shader? Or is it just clever/subtle surfacing? It really has a 'SSS'/translucency feel on it  ;D
Are the "extreme" displaced features of the terrain necessary for this effect? (don't think so) Personally I like more realistic terrains. Not of great importance, I know :)

Mavcat

Your ice is very convincing,looks real :)

Inscrutable

This is the problem with TG2, just when I'm starting to think that I'm making progress and learning a bit and am generally quite happy the stuff that I'm doing (though still accepting that there's a lot to learn) someone like Lucio comes along and demonstrates my inadequacy in the most cruel and heartless way!!!

On the positive side - wow, simply put, both of these renders are amongst the most stunning I've seen.

On the negative side - another blow to my own sense of accomplishment!  ;D

Seriosly though, I'd like to add my own voice to the calls for guidance on how to achieve that ice appearence.

rcallicotte

Yes, Lucio, when you have the time, please create a tutorial about your ice.  It's amazing.  Considering that transparency is on its way, you've just started something big.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Lucio

So many kind comments, thank you!

@ Old Blaggard: You're right, I employed a lambert shader over the ice.

@ Tangled-Universe: Yes, the first image is more articulate and has many elements on it. It's the real scene. You can consider the second as a "technical" closeup :). Overdisplaced features are not necessary to get a stasfying icy appearance, I've just employed them following a personal choice.

@ Inscrutable and calico: Don't be afraid :D Me too I'm continuously learning new things from the node network. The key is to experiment again and again. I never wrote a tutorial, and just don't know if I'm able to organize it correctly. Plus, my english is also very poor.. However my ice shader has a pretty simple structure indeed; it's a default shader with colour and displacement function defined by two powerfractals, a lambert shader to set the translucency and high reflectivity values. Here's some capture from my node network

Structure of the shader

Specular values of the default shader

Overall settings of the Lambert shader

All pretty simple, as you can see. If the resulting ice gets a convincing SSS look, I think it's depending also on color choice and their balancing over the scene

In my opinion the best way to get results with the node network is approaching with a clear idea of the result you want to get. Using real photographs as references may be also very useful. Then try to think how you can get that result with the instruments you have. It's very logical and powerful. And, main requirement, a lot of patience  ;D

Will

Wow thanks, the a lot simpler then I though it would be. I'm planing around with it now.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

mrwho

wow, nice work. I'm playing around with the shaders, but it looks like crap :(  especially my displacement, I can never get it to look like real rocks. Any other hints you'd care to share???

Will

I made a ice planet (naturally) it looks ok but not as good as the ice in your pictures.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Lucio

Here's a tgc of the ice shader

It works best with ambient occlusion, with a light grey value set on "colour over surfaces"

A screen capture of the lightning settings I used for my scene

Keep in mind that in my scene sun is hidden by clouds, so the camera is overexposed and the "strength on surfaces" value is pretty high

mrwho

wow, thanks for the clip file, and lighting screencap, it's a huge help. So you have a sun and the enviro light, correct?

Lucio

Yes, you're correct mrwho

Lucio

Got a 'final' image

Variations are mainly over color balance. Increased AA (9). Here's the full-res version, about 24h to render

Seth

powerful picture dude ! that's really a new kind of thing on TG2 for me ! i never saw something like this one before :)

zionner

Nice work Lucio...I like the way your ice is sorta..integrated into the hill..

Can I ask what did you link your default shader to?