Icefalls

Started by Lucio, July 27, 2007, 10:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

Hi everyone,

Just restarted working on TG2 after some month

Here's a study I did about the interaction of snow, rocks, vegetation and ice structures - consider it a sort of WIP

Regards,

Lucio

Mavcat

Volker Harun

The ice is very convincing and makes this image special!

Saurav

Excellent, looks very promising. The ice/rock part is pretty convincing.

old_blaggard

This looks really good :).  The ice/rock could still use a little work, but your vegetation placement is awesome.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sonshine777

I agree with O_B the plants (trees) are awsome. Where did you get them? Also what modifications did you do to get the snow to lay on the branches?

N810

:o

I thought it was a photo.
I can't wait to see the final version ;D
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

cyphyr

I really like this. The colour balance is perfect!
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Lucio!  Awesome!  We hardly have heard from you and then this.  Excellent work!  I was sure it was a photo you were saying you were using as a reference.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Lucio

Thank you all! Hi calico, I've been busy for a while, and happy to be here now!

@sonhine777: The trees are all Xfrog models: Aesculum hippocastanum, Picea abies and Picea pungens. They all have snow applied as a surface layer in their internal network. It's  the same shader I used for the scene and it's slope constrained, with the 'use Y for slope' option activated and set to 'Planet/Object normal'. In this mode you can place the snow only in the superior part of the branches and foliage giving a very realistic effect. You can modulate the amount changing the maximum slope value. The snow is also a little embossed to give some thickness, but with external objects you have to maintain very low displacement values or the geometry will explode.

The bended tree in the foreground required some little more work to do. I wanted to give the impression of a tree "overcarried" with snow, so I created the model in MAX modeling some "fake" snow block on it, then I've inserted it with precision in the scene using the LWO exporter, wich is EXTREMELY useful. I've never used the LWO exporter before and I discovered that it's not so tricky as it can seem (I've found somewhere over the board a very clear explanation made by Oshyan on how to use it) and it's a really powerful instrument for integrating models and geometry from 3rd party applications

The rock conglomerate and the ice blocks are all fake stones with a redirect shader, applied over a strata terrain after lots of experiments  :)

I wanted to render the overall mood of an overcast day without direct illumination. I've hidden the sun with a 3d cumulus layer and overexposed the camera. I also thought about a lightdome, but I'm afraid it would require an eternity in terms of rendertime..

Scene rendered with ambient occlusion, detail 1, antialias 3, GI and GI sample quality set to 3 – approx 16 hours @ 1000x750 

Will

wonderful shaders, its very convincing.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

ProjectX

Image of the week, most definitely.

Lucio

Thanks for the comments :)

Little rework over the ice shader, increased AA (6)

Here's a new render, a clean close up. Minor color correction on Photoshop

Will

I like this one better, don't know why but it seems to draw more attention the the ice than the other.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

You're doing a great job with the ice.  Do I see a lambert shader in there?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.