An Old Debate: Aluminium vs. Aluminum?

Started by PabloMack, December 06, 2014, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

Seems that the American pronunciation of the word (ŭ-lū-mĭ-nŭm/uh-loo-mih-num) has precedence (in time) by it own British coiner and it is more consistent with the pronunciation of the mineral "alumina" which, I doubt, is pronounced "al-yoo-min-uh) by the Brits (or is it?). What do you think? Interesting reading...

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

Upon Infinity

I always thought the real debate was not between the loo/yuu but weather or not the second 'i' should be there at all.

PabloMack

Both, really but I presumed everyone already new this so I left it implied.

choronr

Maybe easier to pronounce if we just call it 'Bauxite' from which the metal is derived.

Matt

Clearly it is aluminium, and the US spelling was corrupted in the 20th Century!

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

PabloMack

Quote from: Matt on December 06, 2014, 06:41:15 PMClearly it is aluminium, and the US spelling was corrupted in the 20th Century!

The article says "Noah Webster's Dictionary of 1828 has only "aluminum". This is not a corruption because the Americans were using a version of the name Davy himself used (after 1807) before he finally settled on "aluminium" in 1812. News didn't travel very fast over the Atlantic Ocean back then. By 1812, the Americans were at war with Britain and there probably wasn't much friendly communication going on between the two sides. It wasn't until the 20th Century that the average American was even aware of the metal because it took that long for products made out of it were very common. It's funny that the spell checker for this webpage wants to correct "aluminium" because it thinks its wrong. Does it do that on your side of the Atlantic Matt?

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

PabloMack

Matt

I was only half joking. But it looks like I misread some of the dates. Maybe I should have said it became corrupted in the 19th Century, not the 20th :)

I'm in the US (but I'm from the UK). My browser (Chrome) seems happy with both 'aluminium' and 'aluminum'.

Matt

TheBadger

lol.

So proud!  ;) Well "proper english" is rather nice to hear. But its hard to listen to through all those bad teeth
http://lh6.ggpht.com/JDNEWITT/SL9b4Mr6ZLI/AAAAAAAAAg0/SZ1f4qLXPaQ/s400/british%20teeth.jpg
It has been eaten.

Matt

choronr

And if you could see the charges for their services, you would understand why.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

PabloMack

It is interesting to note that Lanthanum, Molybdenum and Platinum are all names of elements that are recognized by British chemists. These names do not end in "ium" but only "um". It is also interesting to note that the 13th element on the periodic table could have properly been called Aluminum if it had been named by the Romans. Indeed the elements Argentum, Aurum, Cuprum, Ferrum, Hydrargyrum, Plumbum, and Stannum are all Latin names for elements from which their recognized elemental symbols are derived. Had the Romans coined the word "Aluminium" then it would have meant a venue at which activities relating to (presumably) light would have occurred as in a Gymnasium, Auditorium, Stadium, Colloquium, Planetarium, Podium, Sanatorium, Aquarium etc. Otherwise, it might have been a factory where "aluminum" is purified. :)

choronr

Now PM, this makes you a 'Road Scholar(ium)'.