Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Bright sun at or near the horizon, heavy clouds with a sharp gap in them. Getting that specific configuration may be tricky, but the principle is fairly simple...

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on December 08, 2014, 03:22:03 PM
Bright sun at or near the horizon, heavy clouds with a sharp gap in them. Getting that specific configuration may be tricky, but the principle is fairly simple...

- Oshyan

Kinda what I thought...rendering atm so I will give it a try later....My sick old computer balks at more than one instance or I'd jump right in.
I'm thinking Richards's, God Rays solution, involving a hole in the clouds may work.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Yes, exactly. Although thinking about that specific example again, it almost looked like the sun was shining *up* at the clouds from underneath, as it would due from just below the horizon (for high enough clouds it would then shine on the bottoms). Maybe some atmospheric distortion involved too. Anyway, it may be difficult to get that exact angle and projection, but again the principle is there.

- Oshyan

Dune

inkydigit

Hi Bobby,

I made a UFO beam using a 4 or 6 cameras projecting a single white pixel, to mask some clouds. (not my technique)

You could use a white image (png or tif) to project and use one camera, adjusting your focus to widen or narrow the beam...

I am sure that there are nodeologists that may have a simpler route,

this might help, I hope...

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,11473.0.html

cheers
Jason

Dune

Yes, that's a method I used as well, works good. I believe you can copy the sun's angles into the camera angles somehow to point it right, but that's if you want light thru clouds on a certain spot (where you put the camera).

bobbystahr

Quote from: inkydigit on December 09, 2014, 08:54:15 AM
Hi Bobby,
I made a UFO beam using a 4 or 6 cameras projecting a single white pixel, to mask some clouds. (not my technique)
You could use a white image (png or tif) to project and use one camera, adjusting your focus to widen or narrow the beam...
I am sure that there are nodeologists that may have a simpler route,
this might help, I hope...
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,11473.0.html
cheers
Jason

Yeah, I recall that image aNd wondered how the heck y did that. I may worry this a while but it's nothing serous; just saw the video and thought it was a cool TG3 challenge. Thanks for the tip though I didn't quite understand the method. Maybe a clip to explain it and I could try and see.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

inkydigit

Hi Bobby,

I think followed the instructions here; http://en.tgblog.de/?p=28 , alas I have no computer at home at present Bobby, otherwise I would send a tgd/zip...

The principle is the same; instead of restricting a population (which we now do with clip to camera), I used it to restrict a cloud layer.... some nice results may be found if you experiment with different shaped images?

cheers
Jason