Object Surface Shaders?

Started by WAS, December 13, 2014, 04:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I've seen a lot of nifty rocks out there, and I was trying my hand at one. Got a really nice surface in there, but I wanted to add some variance in the form of moss/algea. Procedurally of course. But I can't seem to figure out where to plug my distribution/surface shader at!  :-X I can get a solid green doing it in the colour function in the populations first internal network with the "rock.obj" shader. I tried with the rock object after all my surface shaders, but no go there. Tried getting normal, terrain normal, compute terrain (not sure about functions there, but tried), nothing. Most I could achieve was solid black (lol oops) or solid greens and no rock texturing. :\

choronr

WAS

Oh well hello there.

Thanks Bob, I guess that didn't show up in a search cause of rock being fused with boulder in one word.

choronr

WAS

All these seem to deal with objects ontop of objects. Is this the only way to achieve moss on a population of rocks? I'd assume there would be someway to incorporate surface/distribution shaders to accomplish it.

Dune

If you're talking about rock objects, you should add a transform shader set to world position between the PF colors you made and the part or default shader color input. That way the colors will get a global size. Lichen of centimeters will then be really centimeters.  If that's what your problem is. 

WAS

I think my problkem is not having any altitude on objects. How can I get a objects altitude and form to do moss only on the top of the object, and favoring rises.

Basically the PF colors would be hard, and not well broken up and not blend well so I gave up. Simply inverted my rock texture, and used it as a mask on the green since no altitude constraints, slope constraints, or favoring depressions would work.

Also is there a way to use a image shader as a displacement shader/roughness shader, and reflection for the rock? Or would I need to make normals/specular/etc? I am trying to pump in the image as the roughness and displacement and reflection and it seems to be... not working? I did notice too that even a tiled texture, does not tile correctly when set to sphere, on a rock. Hmm.

Edit: I also tried a Transform Input (with Use World Space checked), this seems to give a lot more natural fractals for the scale, but all control, again, on altitude, slopes, depressions is really important.

This preview is with the transform input.

Here we have transform input, and minimum slope constraints. Should be ontop of the rock. Inverting it, or using maximum altitude does the same thing

Tried adjusting the fern which was too bright for my tast... shadow area in the back is like solid black. Ugh. Lol Need to figure out that transparency trick or something.

Still not much change in the moss despite all I've tried. It seems like slope/altitude constraints are on their side, left and right, rather then vertical.

Added a merge shader for some more detail and variance on the PFs for the algae/moss.

Dune

What patch size are you using for the computation? If these rocks are smaller than 1m, then you definitely need a very small patch size!!

WAS

Everything is in the floating points area as far as scales on the rocks. 0.002 to 0.2 is a favorite.

When I try altitude constraints its set to 1 with a fuzzy zone of 0.5. This appears as if the rock is on its side. What would be the top of the rock, is the left side, and the bottom the right side.

Slope constraints seem to be working more or less... though 45 degrees is not even really present but a small area so not sure how it's working...

Using favoring depression, again has weird results with only being on one side of the rock, sometimes the opposite side... Will post preview and sample TGD in a moment after I dump xFrog assets.

Notice the issues with left/right sides...

WAS

Here is the gathered TGD with notes about the issues I'm having. :P ANy suggestions would be amazing. :)

Update: Oops I got in trouble for releasing my friends texture. :P This one has just basic fractal for rock but still same story for moss

Kadri

We learned something about "fuzzy zone" in this thread below.Not sure if it is any help but just in case.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18266.0.html

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on December 15, 2014, 03:13:16 PM

We learned something about "fuzzy zone" in this thread below.Not sure if it is any help but just in case.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18266.0.html

Hmm, I think I have tried 0,  through micro scales of 0.0005 and such, I don't think that's the issues with the shaders unable to read the objects geometry and altitude correctly.

Oshyan

Are you using "Favor Depressions" or Intersect Underlying in general on *all* these? I don't think it will work correctly on 3D models of any kind (though I could be wrong), and at the very least it's a fairly complicated additional feature, so I'd recommend experimenting without it for now.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 15, 2014, 07:55:23 PM
Are you using "Favor Depressions" or Intersect Underlying in general on *all* these? I don't think it will work correctly on 3D models of any kind (though I could be wrong), and at the very least it's a fairly complicated additional feature, so I'd recommend experimenting without it for now.

- Oshyan

It's only thing causing the green in the first preview image. It seems to work well when the default shader is provided the correct displacement based on your texture. However it's not the effect I want anyway so moved away. I am noting general problems with any sort of control with a Surface Layer on a rock object. It's like it's on it's side rather then up and down.

Dune

I think you do this much more complicated than needed, and the sizes of colors very large in comparison to the boulder size. I made a new inside setup, but don't have much time, so it's far from perfect, but maybe a new method to try.
I don't really like to work with the rock objects, so it's kind of 'new' to me as well.