Very nice stone and cracked rocks

Started by moodflow, July 30, 2007, 01:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Thanks for that postwork information Volker, those steps definitely give off a nice effect.

Tangled-Universe

Hey Volker!

As I mentioned these are very cool displacements  ;D Thanks for sharing it with us, also for your post-work techniques.
Quite similar to mine except for the bloom/glow effect, definitely going to try it next time!

Martin

moodflow

Quote from: Oshyan on August 07, 2007, 04:38:35 PM
Volker, I see you use a similar "bloom/glow" effect to what I do. It definitely enhances many images. :)

- Oshyan

I see you two also use the same technique I 've been using for years (well similar atleast).  Its amazing how we all tend to come around to the same techniques, even without conspiring to.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

bigben

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 07, 2007, 04:29:58 PM
Postwork:
I reduced the 32-Bit OpenEXR to 16 Bit (Thanks BigBen).
I used some slight sharpening (unsharp mask 95%; rad. 0.5)
Copy of the Background, gaussian blur, radius is 1% of image width. Set to soft light.
Curves to adjust brightness.

You might be interested to try a sharpening technique I picked up out of a graphics mag one day. 
Duplicate Background, set to hard light, high pass filter. Reduce the high pass filter radius until you can just see some edges in the filter preview (or check the image preview).  I tested a while ago on aTG2 image and found a radius of 0.5 was enough. (anything less than 1 means the image was pretty sharp to begin with, so I don't bother much)

And back on topic  ;)
Here's a render test from my experimentation with jmeyers' clip last night. A few observations:

Most of the wonderful clips here are created on fractal terrains. When applying them to TERs with fractal detail added things can get messy because the fractal detail is a lot more complex than you average power fractal node. Things usually get screwed up on the cliffs, where these clips are at their best.

The image below includes a TER without fractal detail, a couple of low displacement power fractals and a strata shader before jmeyers' clip. Adding the extra power fractal helped a lot and is one of the key tweaks.

The other problem I had was when the second surface of the clip was on its own. (see the foreground of the last two images in my previous post)  I brought their slope distributions closer together and duplicated the fractal breakup of the first to use for the second, using differences in the colour offset to give the second surface a slightly greater distribution.

So far so good, and I haven't touched the scaling yet to really screw things up  ;)  I'll have another go tonight and post a TGD tomorrow.

PS. this clip makes great outcrops if you let it loose on slopes down to 15°. not so good for my terrain, but someone else will have a ball with it.

[edit] Added 2 more images of the latest version I had on the train this morning with a slightly different approach to using similar distributions for the two surfaces. Added a view of the north face which is probably the steepest slope in the terrain. This is the first time I've looked at a steep slope with this, and it looks quite promising.

ProjectX

Thanks for the info volker! I've been using a rudimentary bloom effect (actually it's nigh an exact copy of what video games use) except I use screen instead of soft light, and I lower the brightness and up the contrast of the image (only the brightest bits glow - like how the video games do it). I've never used .exr before, I assume photoshop accepts them. Thanks a ton for the help!

EDIT: Wow, that works really well! Thanks volker! The unsharp mask adds tons of detail to the surfacing too!

j meyer

bigben:thanks for your observations,they will certainly be helpful later on
when i´ll find the time to test on TERs myself.

old_blaggard

I just thought I might contribute this.  It's two voronois added together and then a strata shader.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Tangled-Universe

That looks very interesting! Would like to see some more perspectives of it. (little bit from above for example)

Martin

Buzzzzz

These are all very nice effects gang! I Would like to see someone apply them to a full landscape scene instead of just the effect it's self. Or has anyone? Please lead the way.

Volker Harun

Buzzzzz ... you are kiddin'! I tried several settings, each time I applied the nodes to a different scene, everything changed.
Fiddling with scale, fractals and so on takes up more time than creating something from scratch.

Basically there are a few options that can be used. And as soon as somebody is aquainted with its (un)comfort, it can be adopted to almost any other scene ...

Yet!

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 08, 2007, 09:55:32 AM
Buzzzzz ... you are kiddin'! I tried several settings, each time I applied the nodes to a different scene, everything changed.
Fiddling with scale, fractals and so on takes up more time than creating something from scratch.

Basically there are a few options that can be used. And as soon as somebody is aquainted with its (un)comfort, it can be adopted to almost any other scene ...

Yet!

Kidding? LOL  Well yeah :P  I know because I tried a fake stone setup in a scene I'm working on and I couldn't even find it because the scale was so small. I do understand what you mean though, after creating these and applying them to another scene would involve lots of tweaks and scale adjustments. Would still like to see something created with them especially OB's. Hint Hint!

You guys are doing some really sweet stuff here. Think I'll go back to finger painting. :D

moodflow

As for scale, I've been trying to keep everything based off of 1-Meter scaling.  Obviously, some things are much larger than 1 meter, but they are scaled appropriately.  That way, I can find them by knowing how much I need to step in, or step back.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Nice job, o_b.

TGD or TGC?  Or is it too soon for handouts for the day?   :P

Quote from: old_blaggard on August 08, 2007, 09:27:51 AM
I just thought I might contribute this.  It's two voronois added together and then a strata shader.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

If I can I'll provide a .tgc, but this is actually part of a commercial project, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to.  It is ridiculously simple, though - just create a couple of voronoi noise functions, same scale, different seeds, add them together, plug the result into a displacement shader, and then apply strata.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?