image map to object?

Started by archonforest, January 03, 2015, 08:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I have a b/w tiff file with a logo on it. If I import it to TG with displacement, can I somehow save it as an object?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

I believe you can export it as an .obj but no textures will come with it and if there is a parts shader set up they will all be fused together.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 03, 2015, 10:00:13 AM
I believe you can export it as an .obj but no textures will come with it and if there is a parts shader set up they will all be fused together.
Hmm...do u know how? I cannot find any possibilities :(

Hannes

Go into the node view, rightclick on the object, select "save object file" and choose obj.
I doubt that this displacement will be saved as well. As Bobby said, the model will be saved, but there won't be any texture informations.

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on January 03, 2015, 10:31:54 AM
Go into the node view, rightclick on the object, select "save object file" and choose obj.
I doubt that this displacement will be saved as well. As Bobby said, the model will be saved, but there won't be any texture informations.
This is not an object...yet...only a bw image map loaded. Therefor when I right click on it there is no possibility to save or export...hmmm...
I might have to learn Blender for this project... ???

Raj

I hardly ever use the 3D functions of Photoshop but you can create and export a 3d mesh of a tiff in PS as an OBJ; assuming you have access to PS.

Hannes

Ah, sorry, I thought you wanted to export an object with a tiff-based displacement.
I guess you could use the tiff as diplacement for the terrain and then use the micro exporter to export the part you want to have by catching the wanted area with an orthogonal camera. Just a thought.

archonforest

Quote from: Raj on January 03, 2015, 10:41:55 AM
I hardly ever use the 3D functions of Photoshop but you can create and export a 3d mesh of a tiff in PS as an OBJ; assuming you have access to PS.
I have access CS6 with 3D so I will give a try. Thx :D

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on January 03, 2015, 10:50:15 AM
Ah, sorry, I thought you wanted to export an object with a tiff-based displacement.
I guess you could use the tiff as diplacement for the terrain and then use the micro exporter to export the part you want to have by catching the wanted area with an orthogonal camera. Just a thought.

Huh...where is this micro exporter stuff?  ;)

Hannes

Render/Sequence-Output/Check Micro exporter, choose "create new micro handler"/Micro exporter/Go to "Micro exporter XX", select a filname.
Be aware that the object will have the resolution that the render quality has, so you'd better start with low quality. Otherwise the file will be quite large.

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on January 03, 2015, 11:14:19 AM
Render/Sequence-Output/Check Micro exporter, choose "create new micro handler"/Micro exporter/Go to "Micro exporter XX", select a filname.
Be aware that the object will have the resolution that the render quality has, so you'd better start with low quality. Otherwise the file will be quite large.
Looks like I do not have those options...having the Creative version only....hmmm anyway thx Hannes for the idea. I saved it for future reference.

Hannes

Oh, there is no micro exporter in the creative version? I didn't know that.

archonforest

I made it via PS! Thx guys for the input :D
The object looks awesome with the glass shader!!

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on January 03, 2015, 03:23:13 PM
I made it via PS! Thx guys for the input :D
The object looks awesome with the glass shader!!

pictures please!
we needs our rewards for chiming in.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

pictures please!
we needs our rewards for chiming in.
[/quote]

I am not fully done with it yet...
and I will ask if I can upload a preview.