Anyone here own Silo?

Started by TheBadger, January 06, 2015, 12:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey guys, any of you own Silo? Whats your judgment?
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

It came up in my Carrara or Blender thread:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17380.msg168838.html#msg168838

Sounds like Hexagon-esque abandoned software.  What's your interest?

TheBadger

Its really cheap. Was curious if it had any unique tools or features that would justify it? I doubt it rates against MODO though, not even counting plug-ins?
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on January 06, 2015, 01:18:02 PM
Its really cheep. Was curious if it had any unique tools or features that would justify it?

I seriously doubt it.  If your already using more advanced modellers, I think you'll be disappointed going to something less.  In any event you could always check out some YouTube videos of people using it and see that way.  But do you really want to learn more software than you have to?

TheBadger

No, I dont  ;D but I am still not happy with what i have. I still use MAYA. but to be fair, modeling has gotten a lot better in maya in the new version. Even so, I am never going to buy it.

I still want MODO really bad. But the pending sale of the company has put me off in fear.

I have a number of very good models I want to sell. But I cant until I buy rights to something... Not in a hurry or anything, The search for zen never ends. :-[

I guess the reason I was giving silo any thought is because I read it is used in the industry. There is a lot of ok to good cheap soft, but I feel like I should only learn things that are somewhat to very widely used. Which is why I never went with blender, other than that it is free, what would be the point?... Other than hobby time?

I hope we find out what is going to happen to MODO soon!!

and I did see a number of videos of silo, looked ok to me. But I did not get a sense of how anyone would say where it rates against Modo or maya in terms of straight up polygon modeling.

You are probably right though, if it were some great thing, people would be saying so all over the net. There is probably no secret here.
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on January 06, 2015, 01:43:08 PM
I have a number of very good models I want to sell. But I cant until I buy rights to something... Not in a hurry or anything, The search for zen never ends. :-

Just export out of Hexagon or something.  No one's gonna know the difference.   ::)

TheBadger

Yeah lol.
But they are not 100% done. And hex would FUBAR the mapping, and probably a lot else, they are high polly high detail.
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on January 06, 2015, 08:01:48 PM
Yeah lol.
And hex would FUBAR the mapping, and probably a lot else, they are high polly high detail.

Yeah, it would!   ;D

mhaze

I use silo a lot its fast and easy to use.  Good for basic modelling though I've made some pretty complex models in it.  No frills and with a couple of bugs. A useful tool for the tool box.

Upon Infinity

Just looking at the site, it looks like an interesting program.  Does basic stuff and sculpting (wonder how it handles textures?).  I sure am looking for a replacement for Hex.

TheBadger

Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 09, 2015, 11:44:43 AM
Just looking at the site, it looks like an interesting program.  Does basic stuff and sculpting (wonder how it handles textures?).  I sure am looking for a replacement for Hex.

We have both been at this silly game for a long time now. Its all right though. Maya is not cheap, and if I had bought it and then learned that I hate it, I would be homicidal.  ;)

Its better that we take our time and be sure of our choice (as much as we can be) then spend a bunch of time and money just getting pissed off.

The price is good though, Only have to get a little mad if it does not work out. I have to bet though that its heads above Hex, just looking at the vids.

mhaze,
Thanks man, can you tell us more about the bugs, limits and strengths in your view?
It has been eaten.

jaf

I have Silo and liked it.  But a few years ago the developer started working on other projects and mostly stopped development and didn't respond much to questions in their Nerver Center forums.  Eventually they closed their forum and moved it to cgsociety.  They've started a bit of development again with the latest update it seems, but I wouldn't be confident yet using it as my main modeler.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on January 09, 2015, 07:39:05 PM
We have both been at this silly game for a long time now.

I'd consider Silo.  Before I do that, however, I should really explore 3D Coat's hard surface techniques first, as I have yet to do.  Once you get to learn it, 3DC is really an amazing program for sculpting.  I seriously doubt I'd ever need to look at anything else for sculpts.  3DC can do hardsurface stuff, but it's a different process I haven't looked at yet.  I should, certainly, before I go making more time and money investments into other programs.

mhaze

The main bug is the extrude bug. If you change your mind about an extrude you have to undo twice to clear the extrude otherwise when you subdivide you'll get a mess.  The program is very easy to use if you use the keyboard shortcuts. Good memory handling and a reasonable UV mapper for texturing.  The program is under development and should improve.