Good software for designing websites (HTML)?

Started by Upon Infinity, January 13, 2015, 01:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Anyone know of any (hopefully cheap) programs I could use as mine needs a serious update to more reflect the new direction I'm going in.

PabloMack

I hate to ask this but it depends on what you want to accomplish. There are programs that make pretty websites but don't support PHP so you are sort of stuck with what they are limited to do. Sea monkey is free and it will create basic web pages with little headache. The latest version is supposed to support HTML5. If you want to do more advanced things then after you use SeaMonkey to obtain the basic layout then you can edit the source and do some fancier things.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Upon Infinity

Thanks.  I'm gonna check it out.  My host used to have some decent stuff they provided but it's not compatible with Win 7.   ::)

mhaze

Coffeecup software is good and not too expensive.

PabloMack

I am still using a laptop running Windows XP for my email and news groups. Since Windows 7 no longer has email this has put me in a dilemma. Because I will need to maintain my website I have downloaded and installed SeaMonkey 3.32 and was pleasantly surprised that the suite contains email and newsgroup support. Looks like I will be slowly migrating to this software for email and newsgroups. I was dreading having to buy an email package only to risk losing it years down the road when the source company decides not to support it any more. Hopefully SeaMonkey will be around for a long time.

Dune

I had the same frustration, but I now use Thunderbird which is in fact way better and more versatile than outlook express.

PabloMack

I was inclined to think that Thunderbird might be a better email app than SeaMonkey's because it seems that is all it does. Then I came across this rant. I think I will study the problem before I decide.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1727175

Dune

Thanks for that, Pablo. Interesting. Few of those really bother me, but you're right about SM. Might be my next choice  ;)

mhaze

Dune

PabloMack

Quote from: mhaze on January 16, 2015, 04:25:04 AMNote that was posted in 2003

Hmmm...It says "Posted January 31st, 2010, 4:11 pm"

But its still a bit dated. I should have noticed.