minor populator "bug"

Started by Kevin F, January 25, 2015, 07:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's an odd one:
I changed the POV in a scene and moved a population of birds to a new area. I then edited individual instances of the birds to new positions and angles, saved the scene and rendered. In the new render the edited birds hadn't moved, either in the render or the preview, yet the preview before rendering showed them in the edited positions!
So I edited them again saved the scene (with the preview still showing the new positions), saved then rendered again. Same result: birds hadn't moved. Tried re-populating: same thing. Tried saving, exiting TG, rebooting, reloading : same result edits not remembered.
Finally tried "reset modified" in the populator even though no instances had been modified other than moving the whole population to a new point, and it worked. Birds now in edited positions. Is this a bug? Or what causes the instances to need resetting?

Oshyan

Are you using a Population Cache?

- Oshyan

Kevin F

No. It's a very small population (11). So no real need. 

Oshyan

Hmm. Do you still have the TGD with the edited instances that didn't render properly? If so, send it to us via email. support AT planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan

Kevin F

No, but since it happened again later with the same file I'll try and recreate it later today. Reset modified solved the issue the second time also.

Oshyan

Ok, good to know it's reproducible. That increases the likelihood that it's a bug we can fix. :) Do send us the TGD if you get a chance (you can also just post it here).

- Oshyan

Dune

I had this a while ago as well, but couldn't figure out what I did that finally got them to stay in the new positions. It was with the Museum files.

Oshyan

Oh interesting Ulco, good to know! Thanks.

- Oshyan

Kevin F

O.K. Oshyan got it to do it again. I'll email the file to support. Since this is the same root file of my Iceland entry I don't want to post here 'till after the competition! ;D