A post by Matt that I cant find.

Started by TheBadger, January 25, 2015, 11:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Matt posted a clip file a long time ago. It was a clip that clamped displacement by how high it was, and you could reverse it to clamp just the low areas of a terrain. (I am not even sure what words to use to discribe it, so I know this is a long shot)

It was very effective really. Much more than a SimpShape or a distribution s or any thing like that. But I cant find the thread, and cant remember the name of anything or anyone in the thread, or anything other than that I used it and can't find it now, and that Matt posted it... It used functions and I think who's ever thread it was was making a desert scene, but I can't be sure.

I searched clamp and Matt and only got a few results, none of them looked right.
I had it in a file some place but I must of deleted it when I cleaned up my hard drive a while ago.

In case you can help me without that... I am simply trying to get a power fractal to not have any low areas that displace below the default planet surface. So hills and valleys, yes, just no valley that go's beneath the default surface... ITs getting difficult to do because I am doing a LOT to a single PF

Anyway, if anyone can help, it would be really good.

Thanks.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

TheBadger

I thought that was it when I searched, but there is no clip. I am 100% that I used a clip of that, or something pretty close to it. Maybe he removed it at some point? But part of thinks thats not it just from the image, I really am not sure, except for that it was a clip i used. I know that back then I did not make it my self.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Are you sure you're remembering correctly? Because other than not being a clip, that post seems to be exactly what you're describing. It does show that he edited it, so perhaps it was a clip and he changed it to an image, but it appears to have last been edited the day it was created, so unless you saw it right after he first posted (assuming it even was a clip at first), you wouldn't have seen the original version anyway...

Oh, also you registered in 2010 and that post is from 2009. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

There's a better way now, with the new max and min 'clamp' blue nodes. Another option would be to only use the color of a fractal for displacement up (with displacement shader or surface shader).

Oshyan

Yes, I suppose I could have spent time instead to explain better ways. :D If only upward displacement is wanted, using a clamp is probably not the most efficient or easy to use way. Ulco covers some good options.

- Oshyan

Matt

Clamp, min and max are all very similar. But I think it's the use of the new soft maximum/minimum that makes Ulco's post interesting. This is the kind of use I had in mind when making these new soft functions.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Actually Michaels question prompted me to get these blues out of the cupboard for the first time  ;)