Another Image mask Edge displacement problem

Started by TheBadger, February 01, 2015, 11:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

I am getting double displacement at the edges where two image mask edges meet. How can I get rid of this?!?!
It seems to happen no matter if the edges are smoothed or blended or blurred in PS or not.

What should I do?

Here is my set up. One image mask for the main shape. Another for a slightly less displacement at some of the edges of the first mask.

See here:
[attach=1]

???
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

I should add, that yes, I can combine the two in PS, and have one image in TG. But then I cant alter the amount of displacement of the shore. All or nothing does not work. And but for the problem of the two edges, this would work great for what I want to do.

I tried a bunch of stuff. The problem seems to be how I draw the map in PS... I think.... But nothing I have tried worked. THe extra displacement at the edges keeps happening.

Is there a way to tell one of the image maps to not displace anymore, no mater what else I do in TG. To kind of lock it?.. OR something?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

[attach=1]

This is how it looks when I combine the two image masks in PS for one displacement in TG. IT works. But that shore is really tall. And it is next to impossible to control it by painting shades of grey in PS. BY using two different masks, I can reduce or increase the amount of displacement for the shore very easy, and get near perfect in height relative to the scale I am going for.

In this way, I can keep adding masks as I work outward from the center (the river bed), and sculpt by painting. But as shown in the OP, when two image mask edges touch or overlap, (or maybe they don't overlap enough), then you get double displacement.

Has this been posted on before? Hard to believe no ran into this issue before.

THanks.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Why not Merge them in TG with the Merge node?

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Yes that worked. I see how I can do what I want now. I had not gotten the merge to work for me in the past for what I tried it on. But now that I see how it is supposed to work, I think I can use it more often.

Thank you.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

There is one problem with this way though, Oshyan. I have to set the displacement on both image maps to the same, or a *less* severe issue like the OP will again happen. But I think there are some other ways to set this up with the merge, that I can get around it, I have to try that next day.

Thanks again.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Try experimenting with the Merge settings. For example, Displacement Merge Mode and Choose By Altitude. I.e. add displacement per-mask beforehand in separate branches, then merge them with "highest" or something. Play around with it.

- Oshyan

Dune

You could also play with the color settings in the image map shader, if they're 2.

TheBadger

It works near perfect now. In any case, as with a lot else in TG, There is a sweet spot for the amount of displacement in a given situation. Quite a large range in my case here. And now that all the above is in my master scene its working as I thought it should. The merge shader is giving me more options and that makes me happy for sure... Not so forced all the time, and allows me more wiggle room.
It has been eaten.