Around 800 AD

Started by Dune, February 04, 2015, 03:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Glad to learn about the Pig Boys; but, be wary of the Sheep Boys.

otakar

They must be high endurance pigs to be able to outrun the hungry wolves with those legs :)

I love it when you put life into your sweeping scenes, Ulco. At your high resolution there is always something to discover.

Dune

Yes, and did you find the moose?
The pigs are kind of like the Iberian pig, black/grey patched and high-legged, not the cosy mudloving fatso's of today.

mhaze

Interesting - I learn something new everyday.

bobbystahr

Quote from: choronr on February 10, 2015, 02:47:48 PM
Glad to learn about the Pig Boys; but, be wary of the Sheep Boys.

Welsh/Scots Sheep Boys, hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

My final render came back from Pixelplow. Always exciting, and luckily, they're só fast! A few hours, while my i7 would have taken 24 hrs or so. Recommended (again)!
But, I saw the artifacts came back that I complained about earlier, and I now get the impression they 'grow worse' with higher detail/AA settings. I didn't see them this clear/large when I made my last crop tests, but the farm settings were a bit higher (0.8 AA8).
The culprit is a snow layer with displacement intersection or favor depressions, but also a height constraint. I needed the latter for snow remains in the lower region only, but I think that's making TG compute colors wrongly.
Does anyone have a clue about this behavior and what to do about it? I might have to clone the grey patches out or rerun the low part with different settings, but I hate to fiddle like that. And snow ill be quite different.

bobbystahr

could it be the amount of intersect on the favour depressions tab? I had something similar, oddly enough orking with snow. Never did totally solve it completely but the intersect amount was part of it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

I think so, but I needed the settings I used to get the right coverage of snowy depressions. I have to experiment with this. But the problem is also that you don't see the patches in the preview!

Tangled-Universe

Hi Ulco,

There's a piece of unfinished documentation in the alpha forums which deals with the intersect underlying feature.

Depending on which mode you use it's probably something to do with intersection zone vs softness.
It's a difficult feature to use, but I guess I won't need to tell you that.

Cheers,
Martin

Dune

Yeah, tell me about it. I'll have a look, thanks Martin.

Henry Blewer

I have found that using the displacement intersection and smoothing does not work. I have used larger scale/s (lead in, scale, smallest scale) to get the smooth effect when using the displacement intersection. The problem is, the values are always different. You have to try and render, try and render. By the time I have it right, I am getting tired of looking at the render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

I cloned it out partially. Some parts are not too bad at all, looks like ice, and it's marshy, so it's fine. See what the client thinks.... up to the next; 1345 AD and 1650 AD...

ADE

that's a right bugger when those blue patches appear, had the same trouble some months ago

bobbystahr

Further to this I found last night that Contrast in any PF involved has an impact on those incidents.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Thanks, Bobby. Maybe it's something to do with the snow shaders I added as well (reflectivity, luminosity, translucency), as it seems to be mainly in the bottom half, though that's also the lowest area. Something to dive into, some day.