Fumarole

Started by Dune, February 15, 2015, 03:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Thanks J.
More than one layer was my assumption.

And I don't think it's possible to get a widened top by just rotating a SSS btw.

choronr

"And I don't think it's possible to get a widened top by just rotating a SSS btw." Yes, those are my thoughts also. Looks like we'll be here for awhile.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on February 15, 2015, 03:36:01 AM
Intrigued by Inky's fumarole, I did some research.
Did you have to do a lot of density reseeding to achieve this shape?

Dune

It is possible with the SSS, why don't you guys just try it? Simpler than a stack of clouds.

j meyer

I've tried it several times with transform shader and what not,wasted hours that
kept me from doing the stuff I should do.
But most likely I'm just too stupid again.

Jo Kariboo

Very nice result Ulco. I think we are many who would like to know how achieved such smoke. The explanations seem incomplete for most of enter us. You would not be interested in making a final file that you would sell on NWDA for example. I'd buyer.

choronr

I'm more patient than smart ...bad combination; but, I'll keep on trying.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on February 23, 2015, 09:46:57 AM
I've tried it several times with transform shader and what not,wasted hours that
kept me from doing the stuff I should do.
But most likely I'm just too stupid again.

You're not alone in the *stupid today* camp Jochen...wasted far too much time. stolen from my music on this....maybe next week I'll take another stab at it....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: choronr on February 23, 2015, 10:23:03 AM
I'm more patient than smart ...bad combination; but, I'll keep on trying.

I understand you choronr but personally I'm not very patient because I know my limits a long time with all that is a little complex with terragen. In my case , even though it seems to me that it is EXTREMELY easy to do this type of smoke if I did not tgd any verbal or written explanation appears just like gibberish.

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: inkydigit on February 22, 2015, 09:00:18 AM
Now all that is over... I can disclose:
I used multiple cloud layers, all restricted, using larger diameter for each progressively higher layer, the core of the geyser is a modded version of Ulco's volcanic plume/ cloud column... Though barely visible, so you could do without it.
My hdd is playing up big time, which is not good, but if possible I will experiment more and post a clip....
Cheers folks,
Away for a beer
J

Thank you Jason !!!   :D

Dune

I'll give you another hint (I'd rather sell my railroad setup than this  ;) )...... use the X for rotating the triangular (!) SSS by -90º and raise it a little(90m), depending on the sizes (100-250 is good as a start) .... then merge (multiply) another rotation of this rotation, but this time by 90º over Y.

Who will have found it the first?........

ADE

now I see this, I was experimenting on a similar theme this morning trying to get the same thing so I placed a vortex warp shader and a transform too...but got unexpected results, originally I was aiming for a rainbow : O

posted a few in facebook as capture snips, so I cannot post images here on what I did

j meyer

This is what I get doing what you suggested.
[attachimg=1]

choronr

Quote from: Dune on February 23, 2015, 12:43:22 PM
I'll give you another hint (I'd rather sell my railroad setup than this  ;) )...... use the X for rotating the triangular (!) SSS by -90º and raise it a little(90m), depending on the sizes (100-250 is good as a start) .... then merge (multiply) another rotation of this rotation, but this time by 90º over Y.

Who will have found it the first?........
I'm lost with this explanation. Are you saying the ..."use the X for rotating the triangle...". Do you mean the X in the Density shader? The only X Y and Z us in the Density shader. And, my SSS is a rectangle, not a triangle. Maybe it is a second SSS overlaying the first in such a way as to form a triangle - a geometry trick?

BTW, I'll be ordering the railroad setup.

Dune

The X in the transform shader (because that's where you rotate), and the SSS has much more options than just a rectangle. Try polygon and set the number of cornerpoints to 3.... triangle.

Come on guys, you can do it  :D