Fumarole

Started by Dune, February 15, 2015, 03:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Kariboo

@Jo: use the 'relocate from 0-0-0'

Thank you for the information.

lat 64

Does anyone have an idea how to invert this so I can use it a rocket plume?

:o
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!

oysteroid

j meyer, thanks and you're welcome.

Here is version 2 of that file. I needed to put in a seed node and I also had some things competing against each other. The 'narrowness' factor I had in there was pointless and just forced high values elsewhere, so I took it out. I'm not sure why I ended up with it like that.

Here is a render with the default settings in that file:

[attachimg=1]

Note that there is a 'rotate y vector' node that is disabled. I've found that this slows things down some, so leave it disabled unless you really need to rotate the plume such that it is leaning in a direction other than X, -X, Z, or -Z, as by swapping or negating some things, you can get any of those directions without the 'rotate y vector'.

oysteroid

lat 64,

QuoteDoes anyone have an idea how to invert this so I can use it a rocket plume?

I made a few modifications to the file, negating the y axis to turn it upside down, shifting the source upward, removing the perlin variation stuff, the parabolic shift, and a few other things. It should offer you a starting point. The smoke could use some extensive fiddling with to get it to look a bit more accurate, to get just the right kind of billowy character, the right feature size, and so on. I've played with this file enough!  ;)

It is too bad the GI surface details stuff doesn't seem to work on clouds. The smoke looks pretty flat in the shadows. A little ambient occlusion or something would make it look a bit nicer.

[attachimg=1]

choronr

I like the mufti-directional billows here - very good.

mhaze

With Dunes version just rotate your initial triangle sss y*180

Dune

Or the X a positive 90º instead of negative... for angled jets other angles may also work.

bobbystahr

Wow...this is one of the best learning threads in a while. Big thanks to oysteroid and Ulco for all their input here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

lat 64

Omigosh!
Thanks.
I will do some forensic work on the file to try to understand a bit.

R.
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!