Speed retopology.

Started by Upon Infinity, March 10, 2015, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Tedious, tedious, tedious.  And exactly the kind of work that makes me question why I got into this 3D game in the first place.  Worth it in the end, I guess.

Oh, and I sped it up this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XxGme7pC0o&feature=youtu.be

PabloMack

What SW package is that? I don't recognize the user interface. I guess my idea of what the word "retopology" is not exactly correct. Its not in dictionary.com and I thought it implied some sort of automatic (and not manual) operation. I was under the impression that voxel-based modelers used the word to mean the process of converting a voxel-based object into a polygon-surfaced object. I could be wrong. I have never seen the word defined; only used.

zaxxon

Looks like 3D Coat to me.  A nice package with a growing toolset. I've relied on UVLayout and Topogun to perform similar functions, but I'm interested to see how this one evolves. To create a new mesh topology either from a high-res, or point cloud meshes can be generated automatically by many packages, however to facilitate the animation of dense meshes lower poly objects with edge loops and appropriate detail in specific areas still requires some manual 're-topologizing'.

Upon Infinity

It is in fact 3DC.  It does have an automatic function to convert the voxel object into a polygon surfaced object.  However, that automatic function is not without flaws.  For many purposes as Zaxxon noted, it is preferable to do it manually.  In my case, however, I have found the only way to guarantee perfect, flawless topology that works and doesn't leave "burn marks" (dark spots on the object left from incorrect topology during baking), it is in many cases, better to do it manually, as well.  I have been getting quite frustrated with the autopo routine lately, and found that it can take just as long or longer than doing it manually.  So I'm trying manual for awhile.