My Cracked Rock Surfaces

Started by FrankB, August 06, 2007, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi,

thanks to Volker's thoughts around creating stratified surfaces using functions, I have developed this further to create cracked surfaces to to my own liking ;-)

It's a WIP thing still, but I feel sort of encouraged by the preliminary results. See yourself and tell me what you think, please.

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Hi Frank, this looks pretty amazing :) Great fake stones (great in both ways *lol*) and texturing.
I like the displacement-idea. It looks really good!
The cracks are a little bit too straight/raster-like, maybe you can try to add some variation to make it look more natural?
Looking forward to the final result!

Martin

Volker Harun

I really like the textures and the lateral displacements ... the verticals are very straight, like Martin mentions, but they add something eyecatching to the image.
The hardest point for me with functions is to get and transfer the scale. But maybe a coproduction could help!?!

,) Volki

FrankB

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 06, 2007, 05:56:50 PM
I really like the textures and the lateral displacements ... the verticals are very straight, like Martin mentions, but they add something eyecatching to the image.
The hardest point for me with functions is to get and transfer the scale. But maybe a coproduction could help!?!

,) Volki

would be glad to do so. let me finish testing my latest idea to add variation to the cracks and I get in touch with you then.

Cheers,
Frank

Lucio

Great! Can't wait to see what will come up with this WIP.

FrankB

Here's an update with less regularity for the cracks. I've also made them more subtle.

regards,
Frank

MF_Erwan

I love the big rock...it seems like it has been cut with a very big knife... ::)

Who wants a slice of rock? :D ;D

Erwan

sjefen

This is really nice ;D
Great texture work.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

rcallicotte

Great, Frank.  Reminds me of some boulders I've seen that have that layered look that appear to be sliced.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Cyber-Angel

This indeed is nice Ablation of the rock surface, I would say however that sand tends to produce more rounded edges what we have in this image would be more indicative of ablation due to water action possibly in an environment with a seasonal freeze/ thaw cycle, but that aside I would be interested in learning the technique.

Regards   

lightning