St Mary Lake - V7

Started by Gannaingh, May 20, 2015, 08:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Man, you even put the trees in their right place on the island. I suggest upping the vegetation line on the island, leaving only light colored rocks near water line. That should shrink its perceived size to the eye. Also, it seems the render is kind of dark, except for the sky. More GI?

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Gannaingh

A long overdue update! I've been working primarily on the surfacing and lighting. I fixed the strata image map so it is now in the proper orientation as well as adding more shaders to give a bit more coloring variety and realism. I also tweaked the sun and atmosphere to brighten up the scene and add a blue coloring to the atmospheric haze. I think I'm going to stay with a wide open sky since I'm a fan of the hot summer feeling it brings. I need to do some trimming in the foreground trees to make it less of an oddly thick blanket of trees.

Clay

Dune

I like this render. Realism topnotch.

bobbystahr

Really makes me want to be there, and as it is an actual place but in a country I can't get into, a tad frustrating. But very lovely and by the pano, true. *****
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Gannaingh

I've made major changes to the foreground. Instead of a wall of trees, I'm going for a more open feel. The spit of land on the left was to test my surfacing an population distribution and it will be extended a crossed more of the foreground, if not all the way to the right side of the image. I like the openness and I feel it creates more natural "flow" of the image into the background than the trees did.

mhaze

Dune

You know, I was actually thinking that from the start (but never commented on it). The openness makes it perfect!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 09, 2015, 02:40:32 AM
You know, I was actually thinking that from the start (but never commented on it). The openness makes it perfect!

Agree with Dune but also think, from the pano as reference, the trees could use thinning on the slopes for sure. Need to see more ground I think, but it's a really fine image growing before our eyes....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Gannaingh

Thanks all for the kind comments! The tree distribution is the next hurdle for the image, I imagine a painted shader will be my best bet.

Henry Blewer

Very great work here. Look forward to the final render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Gannaingh

I've made progress on the vegitation distribution to bring the image more in line with reality. The texturing on the stones on the mountain slope is exceedingly basic for now and is very much in need of additional texturing. I also modified the camera FOV and focal length, slightly including switching on the fisheye setting, which helps the overall shape of the background mountains to better match by reference image. I forgot to switch the water shader's texture off of the default shader so please feel free to use your imagination to fill that part in.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Gannaingh on June 15, 2015, 08:55:20 PM
I've made progress on the vegitation distribution to bring the image more in line with reality. The texturing on the stones on the mountain slope is exceedingly basic for now and is very much in need of additional texturing. I also modified the camera FOV and focal length, slightly including switching on the fisheye setting, which helps the overall shape of the background mountains to better match by reference image. I forgot to switch the water shader's texture off of the default shader so please feel free to use your imagination to fill that part in.

I'd like to see a bit of the right hand shore myself but the Fish eye is what a real camera would give you so a smart choice there. The veg is looking much better. Texturing...the fun bit...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

This is really looking great !
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram