harbour 1100 AD

Started by Dune, May 26, 2015, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Looking at your wreck the frame/ribs seem to be a bit bulky/thick/massive
for such a vessel.
Are the wavy planks intentional?

Dune

You're right, though these really old vessels were kind of bulky. I have to look into it, but it took me quite a while to get this together. So the wavy planks are there because I couldn't properly map the sides; planar from one side, then pulling the points in the texture map by using 'drag'. I later also realized the tops of the hull beams are not worn at all, too square. I probably use the wrong method to build this anyway, it's all trial and error  ;)
It will be quite distant in this case, but I will do another one.

TheBadger

still looks pretty cool. Trouble is you have to be historically correct, otherwise it would be fine the way it is.
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Anyway, it loks cool!
Thanks for the reference image of the windmills. The lower parts of them look really strange. But as Badger said, you'll have to be historically correct, so the mills you've created look like the real ones.

archonforest

Very nice stuff!
Also thx for the ref image. Those mills looks very cool.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

They are cool, I wish I had one in my yard  ;) But I replaced the base, which I did even before the archeaologist said I should. So all is well.
Also made a horseman (supposed to be very, very lowpoly), but I wanted his weapon to be on or off through a opacity function by PF and transform shader, but I couldn't get it to work. Strange, as it is the same method as color variation...

bobbystahr

I'm guessing you messed with the PF scales...?
Does the whole top rotate to catch the wind?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

The top cabin part is separate indeed, so I can rotate it. But the wings are not. They're hard to rotate anyway, or I would have set the ax on 0/0/0.... Well, that is an idea, come to think of it.
The 'world opacity' thing is a problem I encountered before with a herd of reindeer, but I don't remember what I did to get it to work. It should work, but it's not hugely important atm.

Dune

Nearing the end now (I can keep on adding stuff  ::)), just have to get rid of all mistakes, add more grasses and better herbs/flowers, and see what can be done about ugly stuff/details. Especially if you zoom in a render at max size (these crops are maybe 0.5% of the total), mistakes are clear. Like thatch roofs; keeping them low poly just won't produce refined results, though I could still try forced displacement (instead of bump) on these.
And I find that the quite warped water takes a lot of time, so I need to find out if warping the displacement is different from warping the underlying color structure and then displacing. I can imagine by warping small detail too much, some overlap may occur in wavelets, which practically halts the rendering process. And that will be worse when soft shadows are on and detail/AA is higher.

Hannes

DocCharly65

Great again! I always need so much time until I have recognized all details of your images... fantastic!

fleetwood

Looking good. Reminding me of Pieter Bruegel now.

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on July 30, 2015, 10:17:14 AM
Looking good. Reminding me of Pieter Bruegel now.

That's the artist I was thinking of but didn't mention as I couldn't access that part of my brain...high art in the making for sure as usual....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Warping in color space should be much less problematic than warping displacement, as far as I understand. Matt will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

- Oshyan